Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a sabot that groups inside 2" at 100 yards with my 12 ga. USH. It's the Federal HYDRA SHOK 12 ga. 3" 1oz Sabot HP slug. The only ballistic info I have on them is MV of 1550 fps. Any other information would be appreciated, I haven't had any luck with Federal's webpage or searching Google.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I found this online.

12 ga. 3" 1 oz Muzzel Velocity 50 yds. 100 yds. Muzzel energy 50 yds. 100 yds.

1550 1340 1180 2335 1750 1345

Velocity is FPS and Energry is Foot Pounds

·
Registered
484 Posts
I know it's probably not exactly what you are looking for but its all I can find right now. From what
I can tell it is no longer a current production shell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I figured as much. I found 6 boxes at a local Walmart (looked like they had been there a while) price was right so I bought a box and tried them out this past Saturday. three rounds @ 50 yards almost cloverleafed the paper. 2 rounds @ 100 yrds grouped under 2". I went back and bought the other 5 boxes and started looking online. There's only one place online I found to order them and struggled finding any ballistics other than muzzle velocity. I appreciate the added info you found especially the muzzle energy @ 100yds. Looks like I will be heading out to the blind this season with these slugs. All the different brand of slugs I've purchased so far have grouped well @ 50 yds but going out from there has been anything but acceptable IMO.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Trust me I know all about it I'm struggling with the same problem with my M37. Yoy might want to try the Federal Fusion 3" Sabot Slugs. Thet are only a 3/4 ounce slug and shoot a lot fast from the muzzle but if all your lokking for is to get to 100 yds. they might be the ticket. I have had the same dicussion with my Father and his muzzleloader. he keeps trying to go as light as he can as far as bullet weight and heavy as he can with powder to get a fast velocity but eventually the energy drops off and my 300 or 350 grain bullets surpass his 223 grain bullets so it might be a trade off to go with the faster lighter slug.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Another suggestion I can make would be to try the Federal Power-Shok Sabot Slugs. The bullet design is the same as the Hydra-Shok only its lead instead of copper jacketed, and their 2 3/4 not 3 but the muzzel velocity is only 100 FPS slower.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.