Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't take long telling how it broke, but the ejector broke on my 870. I'm seeing red flags as I dropped it off at a gunsmith recomended by a reputable gun related store in the area, and going on good faith after the recomendation I gave it over to the girl behind the counter before I had an estimate. I called today (two days after I dropped it off) to check on the status of the work and it hadn't been started on. It doesn't seem like too much of a chore and it seems like it should be done by now, but the guy might have other guns to work on... The girl behind the counter said that parts were in stock at the shop when I dropped it off, today the gunsmith said he was leaving this afternoon to get the parts. He said he didn't know how much the parts were or how much the job would be, he just said it would be expensive.

That sounds odd. He said to call back in the morning and he would know more.

Hopefully someone here knows from experience what such a fix cost them or thier buds... maybe if I can get a few responses I'll be armed with a ballpark figure of what it should cost in case the guy gets greedy and wants too much.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Are you sure we're talking about the ejector and not the extractor? The extractor is a little hook-like piece that's attached to the breech bolt and pulls the empty shell from the chamber. The ejector is a $10 part that's rivited into the side of the receiver and requires a special tool. The extractor is a $16 part and is easily replaced by the user... you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ejector- $11.00
Ejector spring- $ 4.50
Ejector rivet,front $ 4.75
Ejector rivet,rear $ 4.75
Total for parts $25.00
Labour for installation can vary but runs about $25.00 hereabouts.
Now the expensive part. To complete the job properly, the rivets need to be ground flush with the receiver and this will likely result in a requirement to reblue the receiver. Any that I have done, the customers have opted to leave the rivets slightly proud in order to avoid the cost of the refinish. You may want to discuss this option with your gunsmith.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the ejector, I knew that to start with.

Smoji, thanks for the rundown. Now I'm armed and won't be hosed. The conversation I had with the gunsmith today included a mention of reblueing the reciever after grinding the rivets down, but I said I didn't mind the rivets sticking out a little or a little blueing being taken off.

50 dollars does sound high for a what little this entails, so maybe the guy was speaking in reference to the reality of the situation and not just trying to scam me, unless you're talking Canadian dollars. If you're talking in terms of Canadian cash, it should be a fair chunk less than 50 bucks, huh? Please let me know if you're quoting Canadian or American dollars...

At any rate, it sent up red flags when he couldn't tell me what the job would cost, especially when he said he had two 870s with the same repair waiting to be worked on and that I was the guy that wasn't told how much it would cost when I dropped the gun off. If I was THE guy that WASN'T told how much it would be, then the other guy WAS told how much it would be, so he should have been able to tell me how much it cost since he had obviously told the other guy.

Anyway, like I said, now I know.

I really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used U.S. dollars for the parts but Canadian for the labour. Sorry for being a little bi-money lingual there. $25.00 CDN probably translates to about $20.00 U.S.
Regards
smoji

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Brownells sells a tool to cut the rivet heads off from the inside so you don't have to reblue. It leaves enough of the rivet so you can re-peen the ejector back on.

it is part number 080-000-040

it may or may not work, I havn't used it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.