Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a black synthetic 870 super mag express with a 26" or a camo synthetic with a 28" barrel. The price is $50 more for the camo 28".

Also anyone know if the camo finish takes the weather any better.

Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
Michael, barrel length will bring tons of opinions. You might loose a little range with the 26" barrel but not a whole lot. I prefer shorter barrels for upland work & I have a 28" on my new duck gun, a cammo 11-87 Sportsman. Remingtons new cammo finnish looks like it will hold up better than thier older cammo process. I ran my barrel down the side of the boat last week & it did not mark up the finnish. I had an 870 SPS cammo & the finnish would get nicked when rubbing metal. My choice would be a 26" cammo model if I were to have 1 gun for upland & waterfowling. I've never owned an Express model, but my friend had one & the wood seemed to get dinged & scratched pretty easily and the finnish rusted after hunting in the rain. I've read posts here where express owners state the finnish holds up fine. If you do opt for cammo don't let solvents or bore scrubbers get on the cammo finnish. It can mess it up. Good luck...

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
My 26" has a real fast swing.

The 28" has a smoother swing thou :wink:

That is with my 391 12ga

My 391 20ga has a 26" also. I have tried a 30" 391 20ga Sporting and it feels real nice too.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
For ducks and doves, the 28 would get my vote, but it's not critical. As for the $50 extra for camo, sure, why not? Camo is in style these days, even though a matte black shotgun isn't exactly hard to hide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.