Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trap barrels are getting ever longer, it seems. I wonder what the average cycle time is before they start shrinking again?

I was reading an old book on shooting last night and came across this:
"Years ago, during the days of black powder, full-choke barrels ranging in length from 30 to 36 inches were used. With faster-burning smokeless powders now available, it's a rarity to see a 32-inch barrel on the line -- the majority being 30 inches, with a sprinkling of shorter 28-inch barrels. There is not an advantage in shooting a full-choke barrel longer than 30 inches; rather, it is sometimes a handicap, as the long tube tends to slow the swing."
(The name of the book is The Experts' Book of the Shooting Sports, edited by David E. Petzal, published by Simon and Schuster. The author of the above quote is Dick Baldwin, who was selected as a member of the Sports Afield All-American Professional Trap Team seven years in a row. He is a holder of the 1965 Professional High Over All Championship. He was employed by Remington Arms as a professional shooter. So, he has some credentials.)

Today, most of us following the fads of trapshooting want barrels at least 32" long on our trap guns. Why? Because other shooters, good shooters, have gone longer and we want to emulate them. Why do the good shooters stretch their barrels out? Who knows. They can shoot a long barrel just as well as a short barrel (and, conversely, a 30" just as well as a 34") and, as someone on this forum once said, " a long barrel makes their gun stand taller in the rack." :lol:

Anyway, that treatise on barrel length was written in 1972. How long before the popular length goes back down to 30" or even 28"??? Who wants to put a pot together? I'm in.....[/i]

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Good question, but I think the slower swing and greater sight plane of a longer barrel is still an advantage for Trap shooters. At least that seems to be the "current" thinking. :)

It that the correct thinking?? I'm not sure, but it seems to be working out for a lot of people including me and believe me I've tried quite a few different barrel lengths at trap. So far the 32" Citori is my best. My 30" 870 Classic Trap actually has a longer sight plane than the Citori but is a lighter weight and I don't shoot it as well.

So let me know when the thinking changes to shorter barrels and I'll "get the hack-saw out" :wink: :lol: In the mean time, the longer barrels are OK by me.

Happy shooting..............................Levi

OOPS_________________I didn't see you posted this twice, I should have answered someplace else I suppose :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
It's not a fad. Long bbls are here to stay. They are an evolution process of target shooting. If it swings back to shorter bbls, it will be because shooters don't care to have every available advantage to improve their game. That's not going to happen.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me appologize for the double posting. I didn't realize it had happened (and have no idea how it came about) until this morning.

Can a moderator delete this one and move the replies to the other, which seems to have more posts???

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts