Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for an O/U and would appreciate some opinions about barrel length. This will be my first O/U, I have always shot pumps or autos before and have always had 26" barrels in them. I am looking for a hunting gun to be used primarily for quail and chukar in the desert southwest and maybe pheasant after I get done training the dog and paying for three sons college.

Thanks, Max

·
Registered
964 Posts
28" is a pretty popular all-around barrel length for o/u shotguns. I like my 26" barrels, but I wouldn't really care one way or another if they were 28". You'll save a little bit of weight and it'll be a little bit handier with the 26", but your swing will typically be just a bit smoother with the 28". My advice? Go to your local shop and see if they've got two similar models, one in 26" and one in 28", and see what feels better. You'll notice there's not much difference at all.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You will find that an o/u with 28" bbls is shorter than the semi-auto or pump that you are used to shooting. 28" in my opinion is the best all around length for a hunting o/u, but that is my opinion. Pick out the gun you want, and then handle(mount and swing) it in 26" and 28". Then pick which ever one feels right.

JJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like jasontjames said, a 28" barrel is as long as a pump or semiauto with 26" barrel. Just bought a Beretta 686 E sporting which I'm going to use both on the claytracks and for hunting. I choose the 30" barrel lenght and if there had been an option for 32" I would have taken it.

The aiming and your swing is much more better and controlled when you use a gun with long barrels plus you get little more punch in your shots because longer barrel adds more speed.

28" is fine but try the 30".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.