Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Yes, but it may not be a financially sound repair (may cost as much as the gun is worth...).

Try Mike Orlen-- he's a fantastic barrelsmith and a regular here.

I'd also trust Doug Braker (GunDr). He did some work for me that I was more than pleased with... not sure if he does that sort of job or not... maybe he'll see this and respond.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It can be done safely at home if you know how to use a torch and understand the priciples of brazing and soldering. I did mine a few years back with the advice given by Mike Orlen and some others on here. A call to Brownells tech dept for the correct solder for the job, some careful prep work and it still holds years later and thousands of rounds later. 101's particularly the early ones were notorious for the ribs coming loose.
Good luck if you do give it a try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Afternoon,

I am new to this forum. I have an over & under that my Dad had given me. Wonderful Grouse gun. The bottom barrel has become detached from the action and center rib. I am looking for a gunsmith that can do a strip & relay on my gun. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

Sean

·
Registered
903 Posts
Whenever I have somebody in with one of those type problems, or has a need for rust blue of double barrels, etc., I will either have them contact Art's or take care of any mechanical issues, and then deliver the gun to Art for the rib work or reblue. He does more rib re-solders than anybody I know.

I would consider Simmons mainly if I wanted a new rib installed or other similar work.

http://artsgunshop.com/

I have previously posted details about my work and their contribution, plus their work and my contribution. Check through my previous postings to get more input from the gunsmith perspective.

[email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Was shooting my very old Win 101 yesterday and what do you know . The back end of the rib was coming loose. In fact about 4 inches was loose. Thought I'd try a little home repair. Cleaned the area with Gun Scrubber, then layed a strip of masking tape down each side of the barrel as close as I could to the rib. Then took a flat tooth pick and stuck it under the rib in order to raise it up a tad. Then put a bead of super glue down each side of the rib. Then removed the tooth pick. Then clamped the rib. The back end with rubber bands and the front end with a C- clamp. Top of the C on the rib and the bottom on the stud used to fit the forend... Just a light clamp. Let the whole thing dry over night ... This morning I cleaned everything up and went out and shot 100 rounds of sporting clays . Everything is still stuck together even with moderate barrel heating. How long will it last?? I have no idea. Shooting another 100 rounds next Saturday . If it comes apart I will try something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.