Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there..

I intend adding weight to my trap shotgun mainly to try and reduce recoil movement and muzzle jump. The gun weighs 3.50 Kg and I would like it somewhere near 4 kg.
If I did my homework right, the extra weight needed is 0.50kg equivalent to 500grammes. Is my reasoning correct?? Since I am seeing that adding half a Kg is too much and I am afraid that my calculation are not correct.

Could someone please enlighten me.

Many thanks and regards to all.

Zero 3

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
If you are shooting bunker trap, 3.5kg/7.7lb probably isn't far off of where you should be, maybe a touch light. 4kg/8.8lb is most likely quite a bit heavier than what most shooters are using it, but if you are built for it and can still move the gun more weight certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Baby steps is going to be better, try adding 50-100 grams at a time until you get where you want to be, adding a whole bunch of weight at a time is going to make things difficult.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
The wrong pitch can also increase barrel rise. If, when you mount the gun with the barrel raised to normal shooting height, the toe of the recoil pad makes contact with your shoulder before the top heel of the pad, barrel rise will increase and cheek slap is invited.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys,

Many thanks for your valuable comments. I will try adding some weight gradually until until I achieve the optimum gun weight vs recoil. Will also check if the recoil pad is making full contact with my shoulder. I use this gun for shooting dtl shooting.

Regards to all, Hugh

·
Registered
20,543 Posts
Why add all the weight to the barrels? If you add 0.5 Kg (about 1.1 lbs) to the barrels, the gun will be extremely slow and ponderous to move.

I'd add approximately 3/4 of the weight to the buttstock and 1/4 to the barrels.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ulysses said:
Why add all the weight to the barrels? If you add 0.5 Kg (about 1.1 lbs) to the barrels, the gun will be extremely slow and ponderous to move.

I'd add approximately 3/4 of the weight to the buttstock and 1/4 to the barrels.
Thanks for this Ulysees, a very valid observation !!

Best regards,

Hugh

·
Registered
11,592 Posts
I used lead tape under the forearm of my O/U to get it to handle how I wanted after getting a recoil reducer added.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hopper810 said:
I used lead tape under the forearm of my O/U to get it to handle how I wanted after getting a recoil reducer added.
Hi Hopper, many thanks for the suggestion..

Lead tape is an option I am considering, however once I determine the ideal weight to be added to the barrel I will have custom brass weights fitted between barrells screwed through the ventilated mid rib..

Best regards, Hugh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.