Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a 1300 20ga win. shotgun, for sporting clays, and all my waterfowl, dove, turkey, deer hunting, etc.

It is the black shadow turkey version (I don't think its made anymore) it came with a 22 inch barrel, but I bought a 28 inch barrel for it. Just wondering, is there a clay target sport where a 22 inch barrel would be good????? Just trying to find a use for it.
I used to use it on the dove field, but it seemed like I couldn't never hit them with the short barrel. I have heard that barrel length has nothing to do with how far a gun shoots, is this true??????

·
Registered
354 Posts
The classic "three gun competition" isn't a clay sports game, it's a defensive scenario thing like IDPA pistol. Pistol, rifle, shotgun. At least that's the working definition of the term I've been familiar with for years.

The rule of thumb is that a shotgun's charge will reach maximum velocity in a 20" barrel. The longer barrel gives you a longer sight radius, which gives better accuracy. It also adds weight up front, which helps the swing of the gun, up to a point. I've seen up to 34" barrels on trap guns, but I've read that many skeet shooters prefer 26" barrels because they move quicker. It has much to do with personal preference, upper body strength, and what you're used to.

A guy at my club regularly shoots trap out of a 22" SxS. Works for him, though I must admit I've never looked at his scores.

-- Sam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts