Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting ready to start reloading for 12,16, and 28 gauge. I've bought MEC Sizemasters, and I'm building a bench. I've heard allot about base wad seperation, and it getting stuck in the barrel. I shoot SxS's and O/U's so I should get in the habit of looking in the barrel after every shot. But I think I'd feel more comfortable loading shells that don't have a seperate base wad. How do you know what shells have a molded in base wad? Do you cut the shell in half to check? Or I'm I worry about nothing?
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Dave M said:
I'm just getting ready to start reloading for 12,16, and 28 gauge. I've bought MEC Sizemasters, and I'm building a bench. I've heard allot about base wad seperation, and it getting stuck in the barrel. I shoot SxS's and O/U's so I should get in the habit of looking in the barrel after every shot. But I think I'd feel more comfortable loading shells that don't have a seperate base wad. How do you know what shells have a molded in base wad? Do you cut the shell in half to check? Or I'm I worry about nothing?
Thanks, Dave
In my opinion, you're worrying about nothing. That said, I do look down my barrels after removing the fired shells. Just a habit I got into.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
What Don said.

Your cheapest, best deal for 12 gauge are plain old Remington Game Load promos from Wal-Mart -- $3.27 a box.

They're one-piece hulls and routinely reload 12 times. I've loaded them as many as 15 times, still with good crimps.

The only 28 gauge hull fit to reload is the AA-HS, from which you can easily get 12 reloads or more with excellent crimps.

The crimps will go to hell on Remington 28s after about six reloads. You'll be wise to avoid them altogether.

Don't know anything about 16s.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most all of my 16 gauge hulls are Cheddite hulls. These are from the low pressure shells I've been buying from ARMUSA.
My 16 gauge loads will all be low pressure, for Damascus and Twist steel SxS's.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Dave M said:
My 16 gauge loads will all be low pressure, for Damascus and Twist steel SxS's.
Please be very very careful as most Damascus bbls. should not be shot with anything but black powder.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Dave M said:
But I think I'd feel more comfortable loading shells that don't have a seperate base wad. How do you know what shells have a molded in base wad? Do you cut the shell in half to check? Thanks, Dave
Dave you should see the basewad if you look down the hull with a flashlight. The Rem hulls, STS, Nitro, Gun Club, will appear smooth all the way down to the primer flash hole. Federal Gold Medal (plastic) are also one piece hulls, but being a straight hull, look different than the Rem hull.

Look down a new style AA-HS (shiny, slick plastic in red and grey hulls) and you will see the upper lip of the basewad where it curves up and meets the sidewall of the hull tube. Other hulls, Cheddite, Fed Top Gun, have a seperate basewad, and it should be visable when viewed with the flashlight. Some basewads, like the Top Gun are a fibre type, others are plastic.

I always found it interesting to cut up different hulls, to see thier constuction, so next time you are at the range, pick a few up and do some chopping.. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.