Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to get into doubles trap but am not too familair with it and have never played an actual game.

I believe there are two types , American and Olympic with most people playing American at their clubs?

I believe that with American the trajectories are fixed and 2 targets are thrown simultaneously... but other than that do you play the same way as regular trap except you would shoot 5 sets or a total of 50 targets per game instead of the usual 25 targets? Is the price to play a game then just doubled in price usually?

Also how willing is the club to setup a doubles trap field usually...is it a pita for them to do or usually no big deal?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Pat traps switching from singles to doubles no big deal. Doubles are the most fun, you can have with your clothes on. So that gives you some insight, google "Remington trap fundamentals" and you will get a good brief lesson on shooting doubles, I recommend the straight away bird first or the conventional way of shooting them. If you get hooked and want to get real good, do daily eye exercises and shoot a doubles marathon or two, it will take you from 70's and 80's scores into the 90's. And when you get into the 90's, you will see bang, smoke....bang smoke a couple of dirt balls, its a great feeling to dirt ball them both, over and over again. all of the famous high scoring trap shooters, excel at doubles, it is the key to HAA and HOA. You will love them. It you want to learn them similar to the way Britt Robinson shot them, pm me with your email, now there is a doubles shooting legend, Mr. Britt. Or watch Eric Munson shoot them very impressive. DDF

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would add to DDF's already good advice and say that attending a clinic from one of the big dogs is money well spent and can save you a lot of time, frustration and money from struggling on your own. Leo Harrison has been my own choice but there are others that are excellent as well. If you can't attend a clinic, purchasing a DVD is a good option.

I love shooting doubles! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
I always say, doubles are the most fun only if your hitting them. Most shooters struggle with target number 2. The first one is easy, but #2 takes experience, technique and discipline. Learn #2 and you have doubles figured out. Not breaking #2 is the most frustration in trapshooting.

Doubles are the easiest to quit without many shooters, much money and less honor than other single disciplines. Second priority if struggling with money or score, while most important if wanting to make a state team, high average list, or All American.

The boy's are right.....a good coach, mentor with success, All American doing clinics is the fast track to good scores. Your first scores can be good or bad, but without technique they will soon stay troubled. Starting off with good advise is the only way to improve while maintaining averages. Use anything that helps you become a shot maker and not a shot taker in doubles.

Maltz

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice all, before taking lessons I want to at least try it out pass or fail.

Are the price of games double that of a normal game of trap?...that could be a discouraging factor for a long run as the local club charges $9 a game of regular trap so $18 if doubled...ouch!

I shoot sporting clays as much as I can so hope that would help on the second target..but again need to experience the real deal!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
But you think just about the two you are ready to shoot, no more than that. As soon as you drill that first bird, roll you eye and look for the second bird, keeping the cheek on the stock. It helps to lean into the gun more on 1st shot doubles so you still have a press forward stance on the second shot. Lean ahead and pivot at your ankles. Shoot the first bird aggressively, 2nd bird deliberately. Do not give up, after a fashion you with be making two dirt balls, effortlessly. Flat shooting gun is an advantage, especially for the second bird as sometimes the wind is behind you and a 60/40 POI will still catch a bird that is being pushed down with wind, no need to float it. And no matter what they say on the first bird, 60/40 is very easy to smash that one also. Doubles seems very instinctive and a more right at the bird bead hold helps me score higher. Caps I like to float the bird, doubles seems easier holding right on it. Dan Bonillas shot a flatter gun, seems he was one heck of a doubles shooter. YMMV this is just my opinion, and we all know opinions are like a$$h-les, everyone has one. My goal is to break the doubles down as simple as you can and score higher. Charles, just remember the Pro is Mr. Britt Robinson........DDF

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dead Dog Fritz said:
Charles, $9 for a round of trap, WTH, do they give you 3 or 4 free beers afterwards? At our club it is 3.50 members 4.00 non-members. When they take your money, does the guy have a gun in his hand?
DDF
I wish it came with any free beers, but unfortunatley these are the prices in the Los Angeles area for trap and skeet.

A place called oak tree where I usually go is $9 for non members and I think $7.50 for members.
http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/prices/index.asp

Triple B clays in El Monte is also $9
http://www.triplebclays.com/modules.php?name=Rates

Man $4 for non-members! Wow unheard of out here, wish our prices were remotely close to that considereing we shoot 5 rounds of trap each time we go!

No he doesnt have a gun in his hand but somehow always ends up with my credit card in hand though!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
charles4400 said:
Thanks for the advice all, before taking lessons I want to at least try it out pass or fail.

Are the price of games double that of a normal game of trap?...that could be a discouraging factor for a long run as the local club charges $9 a game of regular trap so $18 if doubled...ouch!

I shoot sporting clays as much as I can so hope that would help on the second target..but again need to experience the real deal!
I don't know where you live, but $9 is what I pay for a round of doubles at my local club. Maybe it's time for you to shop for a new club. $9 for 25 targets seems a little steep to me; but maybe that's the going rate where you come from (wherever that is, not that it's any of my business).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, tell me about it, everything is expensive out here in CA. That's the price out here in the Los Angeles area. Pretty limited to the clubs within driving distance, but I think even the ones a little further out are about the same price.

Believe me if there was a club around here that was less I'd be there!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Be glad your range is open!

My club charges $5 for a round of singles for member... when it's open. My club has been closed since the end of September and I haven't fired a gun since Oct.

This dang winter has been way to long, delaying the opening. We just had a blizzard hit this past weekend and looks like another blizzard is gonna hit for this weekend. At this rate, our lakes may thaw out by the middle of June, haha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.