Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the battery powered mojo. I think it is better because the "flashing" effect from the constant turning of the wings is very noticeable. The batteries last at least 4 hrs before you need fresh ones.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I found the use of these interesting at best. I watched a hunter put out ten of the spinning ones. from a distance away the looked kind of cool. However they were totally ineffective. This is why i think so. (my obsevation only) The hunters had them set up in front of them, they sat on the field in shorts and white t-shirts. with the trucks behind them, they did nothing to lower there profile and the birds saw this and flaired away. just my .02 but no amount of decoys makes up for no thought into the process.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We bought last dove season an Expedite Decoy Air Dove it has no batteries for the wings to move. We had to wait for the wind to pick up a little bit. And the wings moved just like the battery ones. To give you an idea of the wind that the dove's needed, i have a fan and the dove's wing moved in any of the three setting that the fan had. Now we were short on money and it only cost me ten bucks, if money is none of your concerns buy a dove decoy with battery. Now you need to hunt in a place that there are doves, the decoy won't make them come out of thin air. We didn't get any doves not because of the decoys but because there weren't that many doves around.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I have the wind type decoys for doves, crows & ducks. I havn't hunted enough with the crow & dove variety to say much about their effectiveness. The duck wind deek works great as long as there is some wind & is a lot easier to keep in operation & carry. The geese don't seem to like them & everybody says to turn off the mojo when geese are in the area & you want a crack at them. I think the previous posters made some good points. Birds can still see regardless of how attractive the deeks are. You still need to be well hidden, & obviously, there has to be some birds around to see the deeks. The standard rules/strategy still apply. It is always a big plus to put the deeks where the birds want to be!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I have both and far prefer the electric oer the wind driven. I put them it and 6 dekes on stakes where it is open for landing at a distance of about 25 yds out. Works well for me.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I've used both and the WInd dekes are just not as reliable. You are at the mercy of the weather with the wind powerd ones. With the battery option you are in controll. i use the rechargable AA batteries in my dove and use it for doves and Ducks. I have the baby mojo duck as well and it has the advantage of the recharable battery being a single unit.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Chaco1 said:
I've used both and the WInd dekes are just not as reliable. You are at the mercy of the weather with the wind powerd ones. With the battery option you are in controll. i use the rechargable AA batteries in my dove and use it for doves and Ducks. I have the baby mojo duck as well and it has the advantage of the recharable battery being a single unit.
Chaco1, Are they really and truly that good for doves, I just have such a hard time thinking there going to make a difference?

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I have seen Doves try to land on them. They seem to really turn birds to come have a look and at best really attract them. of course the birds have to be there as previously stated for them to work. I am sold on them and will have one in my deke bag from now on. In fact if I see one on clearance I plan to pick up a second one.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Chaco1 said:
I can't tell you how many times I have seen Doves try to land on them. They seem to really turn birds to come have a look and at best really attract them. of course the birds have to be there as previously stated for them to work. I am sold on them and will have one in my deke bag from now on. In fact if I see one on clearance I plan to pick up a second one.
I'm with Chaco. I've been using a MOJO and 4 feeder decoys for the past two years and I'm sold. I've had dove try to land amongst them and on them. I've also had from one to three dove circle and come back into the dekes. Of course, they are only another overall tool. Dekes or anything else can't overcome lousy camo or technique. But, when everything else is right, dekes really do help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The best set up I have ever seen is a folding 10' high decoy stand with a 8 or 9 decoys on it with a couple of battery operated Mojos under it; and a dozen or so decoys feeding. There were 4 or 5 hunters using this set up and they always limited out before anyone else,year after year.-Zane

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'd just like to take this opportunity to whine about how the battery ones are illegal in PA :( :evil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.