Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks,

My dad used to hunt duck when I was little, and I tried and failed at hunting pheasant a few times myself as a kid. I'm thinking about giving it another go but I have a (what may be silly) question...

I remember eating the ducks but I don't remember ever chomping on any shot. Is there a trick for removing shot... Or were my folks just nice enough to give me an unscathed portion?

I'd ask my dad but I think he would just laugh... And then not answer the question.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If you use big enough shot (as in the largest recommended for the species), it goes all the way through. As in, 7 1/2 for dove, quail and similar sized birds, and 4's for grouse and pheasant. You could probably get a #4 to go through a mallard, but I'm not sure. Geese I suspect you'll have to learn to live with, although the shot you're using will likely leave a large enough wound channel so that you can pull it out.

BT

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
It's more of a worry when you leave the bird whole.

If you breast them out or pluck and cut in half it's easier.

Just follow the wound channel. It's not hard to figure out where it went.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I don't remember biting down on any of the birds I've shot. I've never went digging for any hidden ones, either. Maybe I'm just lucky. I have found shot in squills and Rabbits though.

HWD

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'd hunt for dove and Squirrel with my pellet Rifle at camp. In fact my first Dove was taken at the tender age of 5 with a pellet gun. The pellet gun shot maybe 400 fps if it was lucky and even that would go clean through the birds I've never chomped on lead either. I wonder if it'd be bad to swallow. :)

How much lead must one eat to really start the process of Retardation?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I occasionally find 5's and 6's in the Pheasants I shoot, seems to depend on the distance they are shot at. In the end you never really get it all out, but do the best you can.

I have crock potted a lot of Pheasant this year and often times the shot settles to the bottom, so after I pull the quarters out and debone them the shot is almost always filtered out.

Good eating.

For better luck Pheasant hunting, try joining a local club that stocks birds and has good land access. I joined one a few years ago and found a new love for upland hunting after a 20 year absence. That Lab I got for duck hunting loves it too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TMAC said:
For better luck Pheasant hunting, try joining a local club that stocks birds and has good land access. I joined one a few years ago and found a new love for upland hunting after a 20 year absence. That Lab I got for duck hunting loves it too.
Oh the pheasant were there, I just had trouble keeping up with the spaniels. Hopefully I can train our cocker (with her short little legs) to flush.

It sounds like the consensus is most of the shot goes clean through, I guess I forgot how fragile birds are, even if they don't always give up easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts