Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an intriguing experience shooting a very nice 682 gold e x trap. I am a new trap shooter and recently moved to having both eyes open while shooting. I have a history of being a rifle/pistol shooter so it was very disconcerting for the barrel/bead to basically disappear with two eyes open. I currently shoot an 870 express. The beads are plain.

However, yesterday while shooting the 682 the front bead (a very bright white) was plainly visible in my peripheral vision. Now, I'm not talking about bead checking. I had both eyes open and focused on the target, but the bright white bead was noticeable. It gave me a lot of confidence and I felt more comfortable... not to mention I shot my first 22 and ran the last 15 (1st time for that too).

So my question is - Is this bead checking and a bad thing? Or, does this mean I should paint my 870's front bead a bright white too as I am thinking of doing? :lol:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
You will find that the more you shoot, the slower the game gets and you can notice more things going on during the shot. Also, the white bead is probably easier to see.

Bead checking is when your focus returns to the bead from the target. This usually stops your swing and a lost target results. Technically, you are not seeing the bead in your peripheral vision, but out of focus in your near field vision as you bring your barrel into alignment with your brain calculated projected target trajectory.

Shooting good trap scores is simple. Put your shot pattern just ahead of the target. All the rest is doing little things to accomplish this consistently. Most trapshooters spend way to much time worrying about these details and not remembering the big picture.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you can consciously see the front bead in hindsight while focusing on the bird, you're in a very good place. Many trapshooters cannot.This reportedly is an advanced stage essential for handicap, so consider yourself fortunate.

I shoot that 682 and there's nothing remarkable about the front bead.It's not the gun-it's your eyes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts