Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about going bear hunting but I don't what I'd do with all that meat.is bear meat good eating. any opinion would really help.

G

·
I hear it is very oily, and is best if you take it down to the butcher and have them make sausage out of it. Even then I hear it is not very good. If I knew it tasted good I would go bear hunting, but I don't kill what I won't eat.

Buffalo on the other hand... yummmm

·
Registered
261 Posts
:D One thing for sure. You wont have to lead the bear as much as a pigeon. I have not tasted bear but have been told by my Dad and others that it is "strong" meat. Also a little on the greasy side. You could give the meat to a homeless shelter and keep the rug for bragging rights. Then again, you might like it. Give it a try and if you dont like it, hunt turkey or elk or like the man said "Buffalo". My neighbor raises Buffalo and I sure would like to sneak in there and Arkansas one of them. Trouble with that is that I am more afraid of going to jail (or getting shot) than I am hungry. Think I'll leave the Buffalo alone. There is a Buffalo Restraunt not too far away. I'll just go there and pig out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I tasted bear once at a game dinner. I didn't have much of it. It was kind if stringy and chewy. I'd have to agree with strong tasting. I quickly put it aside for some great venison and pheasant.

On the other side of the coin the best tasting venison I ever had was from a freshly killed moose tenderloin. I was deer hunting in Saskatchewan a few years ago and a local hunter killed a cow moose in a field I was hunting. He repayed our camp with a large box filled with moose. That meat is fit for a king 8)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Uncle Ted Nugent has a couple of recipes for bear but I think it still tastes like oh...say.....***. I grew up in Oregon with friends and family that hunted everything and the one thing for sure I know from that little experiment called my childhood is that PREDATORS TASTE LIKE CRAP (everyone say that in a nice scottish accent for me). Coyote, Bear, Cougar, Bobcat....These are the only things I will hunt for pelt and as a population management tool. I give no apologies for this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had one bite of bear it was stringy and kinda sweet could'nt bear another bite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But bear with me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was cooked at a pig roast in its own roaster along with venison. Other people said it was the best bear they ever had I would hate to try the worst :(
Analope has got to be the best tasting thing on four legs in by book. They eat sage the meat comes pre-seasoned buddy went out west and got two he gave me a half. I ate analope every day till it was gone.
Had a buffalo T-bone steak once it was great put cow meat to shame!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I think I'll pass on bear hunting but hopefully I will get my first deer this season.Blacktails and muleys are the locals. I hope to get a nice plump blacktail buck.

G

·
I don't know about bears anywhere else in the country, but I can tell you from experience bears in New England are sure good eating. We have been hunting bears in Massachusetts and Vermont for a long time and we have never had a bad bear. Maybe it has something to do with all the blckberries and apples they eat out here but I know I would trade a deer for a bear any day.
I have heard all the stories about bear meat being greasy and tough, but trust me we have killed and eaten alot of bears......they are very good......:)
If you have the chance to go bear hunting go. It can be alot of fun and the reward, meat, is very good.
Hope this helps
Tony212

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
It all goes back to prep, with a thick furred animal like bear you would need to get it skinned and cooled quickly, saok the blood out and trim the fat off before cooking. Bear can be as good as you make it.

·
Super Moderator
2,462 Posts
Like anything else, taste probably has a lot to do with what the animal has been eating. I've eaten bear meat from a bear I killed in the Duck Mountain region of Manitoba and it was fine. Most people thought it tasted like beef. It was a coarse texture. My grandfather, who was a butcher, said it reminded him of meat from an old bull.

Our guide was amused that my hunting companion and I were going to keep our bear meat to eat. Normally they kept the hide and threw the carcass on the bait pile. He helped us chop ice from a shaded creek that was not completely thawed (last week of May) and we packed it in coolers for the trip home.

It's been quite a few years since I hunted with him, but if you want to go bear hunting, check out Gary Nemetchek at the link below. The pic is a bear I killed with a 54 cal mountain rifle the second time I hunted with him. I'm sure he still runs an outstanding hunt and his clients kill a lot of BIG bears.

http://www.wwwdi.com/camps/nemetchek/bear.html

·
Registered
970 Posts
ive only had blackie meat but its come from all over i think we've gotten 3 in alaska 2 in michigan and 1 in canada over a course of about 10 years havent gone the last couple years ive gotten into pheasant huntin now and head to iowa rather than alaska but all the bear meat ive had was excellent not stringy or tough at all and not too greasy we had it ground up and used it to make burgers or chili or w/e im kinda curious as to what bear sausage would taste like. i might hafta go get me another one soon and try it since our freezer died and we lost ALOT and i mean ALOT of meat prolly 20 pheasants couple of rabbits couple of squirrels some quail and alot of bear, caribou, and moose meat o well if u havent tried it give it a shot its not gonna hurt ya and who knows u might like it

Aaron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.