Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions regarding becoming a gunsmith.

First I would like to know what the best schools are for training. I have been told it is better to go to a school rahter than try to do it off of a video course. Currently I am looking a Trinidad State in Colorado.

Second, how is the job market for gunsmiths? If I used the area I live in currently as a guide I would guess it is good as there are no gunsmiths to be found. What type of work might I expect to find after completing a gunsmithing program?

My last question is about liability. How much does liability insurance run on average for a gunsmith. I know it is important to have, but insurance cost can be outragous at times.

Thanks for your help, Anthony

:?:

·
Registered
383 Posts
AnthonyT,
After your schooling has been completed they do offer a job placement program to aid you with your search .
I would recommend taking this up in stead of ventureing out and trying to open up a shop, after schooling your real learning begin`s.

It is going to be a move where the work is type career so plan on relocateing .

It is a career choice I never regretted making.

Keep the faith and work for someone who knows what there are doing and you will find your nitch in the market!

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with Ron. School, then work for an established gunsmith, then, if you're lucky, your own shop.

I'd recommend Murray State College in Tishamingo (SP?), Oklahoma. Trinidad's program is headed south.

If yoy want to know more about the schools, look at my web page for my contact info. I won't slam anyone here.

Thanks,
Lee
http://www.thearmsroom.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts