Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a male 145 lbs 5'7 beginner with shot guns, My use would be with clay/target shooting. What gun should be sufficiant for me? My brother just got a 12/26 870 express and would I would like to keep up a little at the at range. I need the price to be $200 max. Reliable and durable as possible. Would prefer to buy at walmart if possible but not neccesary.

Please help, Thanks

·
Registered
950 Posts
Check out a Mossberg 500. It's in that price range and will more than hold it's own against an 870. They are extremely reliable, and are a well made design. Walmart has them here for about $175.00-$200.00 With a little practice, once you get the hang of it, I think you'll like it.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I agree with Leo...the Mossberg 500 is a great gun for the money. Im sure it will do a fine job for you.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What gauge is that? Im kind of a small guy so I didnt want to much kick. I shot the 12 gauge today and it seemed to have too much kick for me.

Also what length barrel? he has 26 should I go with a 26 as well?

·
Registered
950 Posts
The 12 ga was 28' barrel with 3" chamber and was $199.00 I'm not sure but I beleive the 20 ga had a 22" barrel and 3" chamber it was $175.00 Not sure what choke. Sales flyer didn't give much info.

I had a Model 500 12ga 28" Vent Rib 2 3/4 chamber with a Modified choke and a recoil pad and I loved it. I didn't feel like it had to much recoil. My Brother in Law has a 500 20 ga about 20 yrs now and he loves it. He takes his share of pheasants with it. My partner has an Rem 870 and it's a very nice piece. I've used it and cannot say anything bad about it. Around here they sell for $250.00- $375.00 new depending on what you get.
I seroiusly considered getting another 500 or an 870 last year but instead chose a Stoeger Uplander SxS 12 ga. I really like it so far.

·
Registered
212 Posts
dasanii19 said:
What gauge is that? Im kind of a small guy so I didnt want to much kick. I shot the 12 gauge today and it seemed to have too much kick for me.

Also what length barrel? he has 26 should I go with a 26 as well?
Felt recoil or "kick" is as much about gun fit, gun weight, type of shell (light target load vs. magnum hunting load), and the gun action (i.e. whether it is a pump, auto, etc.) as it is about gauge.

For example, a heavier 12ga gas auto (Remington 1100, Browning 391 etc.) shooting light target loads for skeet or sporting clays will kick less than a light 20ga pump or o/u shooting heavier hunting loads. Confused yet? If so, sorry, but that's shotguns for you.

Having said that, a couple of tips. If recoil is an issue then stick with the gas autos like the Remington 1100, the 11-87, the Beretta 390/1, Browning Gold, etc. You could drop down to a 20ga in the autos and have even less "kick", but not the pumps because you give up the weight. The autos will be a bit more $$, but you can get a good lightly used gun fairly easily in any local gunshop for not that much more than your budget.

If recoil is a strong issue with you, which it commonly is for new shooters and lighter framed people (women and children for example) then I would really really recommend the (lightly used) gas auto that fits you best. It would be hard to go wrong with any of the ones I mentioned above. I myself started on a Remington 1100 12 gauge when I was 13 (and I wasn't a big 13 year old) and it really tamed the kick for me and I was able to keep it as I grew up. It's still my "old faithful" that I get out of the safe when I can't seem to hit squat with my other guns.

As for pumps if you decide to go with them, the Rem 870 is a fine gun but also consider the Benelli Nova and the Browning BPS and the Mossberg 500, and then there are some older ones like the Ithaca Model 37 and others that might work as well. It really depends on what fits you best.

Go to a local gun shop and shoulder all the guns you are thinking about. See which one just "feels right". Throw it up to your shoulder with your eyes closed and see which one lines up without you having to move your head. Which one balances for you when you swing it, side to side and up and down? Which one feels right, not too heavy not too light? When you find the one that just feels right, go with that one.

Good luck.

Brad

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
My first choice: a 20 gauge 870 w/a 26" barrel.
second: winchester 20 gauge 1300 w/same length barrel.
Mossberg: ? ones I've seen didn't empress me. :(

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Honestly dasanii19...

If you want a lot less felt recoil you are going to have to spend more. As has been mentioned above the Remington 1100, 1187 and the Baretta 391 among others are "gas autos" and have a lot less "kick". You should be able to look around and find a good used 1100 in 12 or 20 for about $350 or so. I have a 1100 in 20ga and it is the sofest shooting shotgun I have ever shot.
Good luck.
And as for barrel length, 26 or 28 will do fine for you. Try to get one that used screw in chokes.

·
Registered
938 Posts
dasanii19 said:
Im a male 145 lbs 5'7 beginner with shot guns, My use would be with clay/target shooting. What gun should be sufficiant for me? My brother just got a 12/26 870 express and would I would like to keep up a little at the at range. I need the price to be $200 max. Reliable and durable as possible. Would prefer to buy at walmart if possible but not neccesary.

Please help, Thanks
Dasanii. . .
Look around for a used Remington 870. You should be able to find one for 'your limit' or maybe less. Or, save a few more coins and buy a new Express from WallyWorld. In my area, they can be 'had' for around $225 - $239.
As for recoil, look into an "Edwards Recoil Reducer". They insert into the buttstock and absorb a LOT of recoil.
I personally cannot suggest or recommend the Mossberg. I owned one many years ago. Pure junk. Sold it and have NEVER looked back.
Buy a Remington. It will serve you proudly for decades.
(No, I am not associated with Remington, other than being the proud owner of several of their scatterguns.)

Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you dont want a ton of kick/recoil stick to a 20 *****. but If I were to get somethign I woudl get a 12 *****. Just dotn fire magnum loads. Im 240 LB ex marine and a magnum load will rock me back. I prefer 12 *****. Reason most of my buddies bought 12 guages. when we go bird hunting one of them has a 20 ga. he ALWAYS runs out of ammo due to shooting too much at one thing even when its out of range. Were all down to giving him 3 rounds and he has to come back for more if he shoots them all. He is learning ( he is very new to hunting)
Id stick to a 12 ga. I just purchased one at Big 5 sporting goods. they had a 12 ga mossberg 500 combo which came with a 26 inch and a 20 inch barell as a extra. for 219$ after tax and DERO's fees it came out to 260$ which is a great price. My other choice was a Remington 870 express but I didnt like the way it felt and the release was in a weird spot where the Mossberg was right by the trigger guard making it easier to unload or pump a round in with gloves.
My last Mossberg ( which I still have) 6 years old and its been flawless. Its had every type of load and ammo maker in it and its never jammed or not fired a round. Ive shot slugs, buck, and 7-8 shot and its been great. The only thing I wasnt crazy abotu was the shorter barell ( its a 500 defender) but last time I went hunting I took it and it shot just fine even if it didnt have a choke
For your price range either the mossberg or the Remington woudl be a good choice. My personal choice woudl be the mossberg. The Remingtons tend to be 25-75$ more
Rob

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Just an afterthought---If economy is a priority with ya---save all your hulls and empty boxes.Someone will buy them.This can be used to buy more :wink: 8) :D :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Express Remington. They're not pretty, but they are still an 870. I have had a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge for 30 years and it has never given me any trouble. It's the old single slide, with a walnut stock and factory pad. I paid $69.95 for it brand new, 28" plain barrel, fixed modified choke. I've probably killed more game with it than any other gun I own. Either the Remington or the Mossberg will serve you well in my opinion. I'd check out both and choose the one that seems to fit and feel the best. Good hunting and good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts