Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was just looking at a gunbroker auction for a 3" Belgian A-5. The seller states that only 2000 were imported from FN between 1958 and 1976. Is this true? Are these guns indeed more valuable? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I'd sure like to know how the seller came up with that number.

I've never seen a number and 2000 is so far from right that I would have to seriously question anything else this seller told me.

Think about it, that is almost 20 years of production, not much more than 100 a year? Hell, Browning made over a million A5's between 1947 and 1961 and another million between 1961 and June 1970......and only 2000 mags?

Unless this is an unusual high grade gun the claim is pure BS.

Jeff

·
Registered
186 Posts
That 2000 figure likely came out of the Blue Book. John

"Mfg. 1958-76 by FN, 1976-Feb. 1998 by Miroku."

"Between 1976 and 1985 approx. 2,000 Belgian 12 ga. A-5 Mags.were imported into the U.S. These late models can be differentiated by serialization - also, slight premiums may be asked."

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
John,

You may have figured it out. The 2000 referred to in the bluebook are guns made by FN AFTER manufacturing was moved to Miroku. But the value difference is "slight".

Personally I don't think I'd spend extra to get a post '76 FN gun.

Steve, did the seller really claim that 2000 Mags were made between '58 and '76? If so I stand by my criticism.

Jeff

·
Registered
186 Posts
I always read the Blue Book with the idea that what is written is frequently only half of what they're thinking. For instance, "...slight premiums may be asked" would be completed with...but not often paid. :)

John

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Well, Steve was right, this guy is marketing a poorly cared for Mag as one of 2000, he could not be more wrong. There is nothing rare about this gun particularly in this condition. Just look at any of the on line houses and you'll see lots of these for sale.

In my opinion it is an ok gun for a shooter if it was discounted to reflect the condition (about $300 from the asking price)

That will help to pay about $2.50 a shell for 3" Bizmuth to feed it if you take it waterfowling.....

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts