Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit confused about the serial # of a 12 gauge Belgian Superlite I'm interested in. The number the dealer listed is 80xx457. From what I've read, these guns were brought out in 1967. Shouldn't this gun have a letter in the serial #? Maybe the 5 is really a "S"? Thanks for any help.

G

·
What makes you think the gun is a 'Super Light Weight' which is actually the correct nomeclature for a straight grip rounded action? If only the grip is straight it is not a true Super Light Weight and if made in 1957, absolutely not.
Besides straight grip and rounded action there were other weight saving measures for the 'Super Light Weights'.
Dealers are notariously sloppy. More than once I have had to correct the serial # from a dealer. Chances are that if it is a 'Super Light Weight' than the 5 is an 'S'.-Dick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a "true" Superlight. In the reading I've done, I've never seen the 'Super Light Weight' designation. I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm "searching"...

G

·
'Super Light Weight' is what is printed on the orginal boxes they came in. I have a 68 gun w/box and shipping container.It was purchased and shipped directly to the original owner before the 1968 GCA.
Super-Light is how Browning catalogs of the period referred to them.
Besides a straight stock, there are other attributes for a true Super-Light. Most dealers call anything with a straight stock a Superlite or Superlight.
Browning took considerable care to reduce the weight of these guns. They also came with standard butt plate. So if you see one with pad, beware.
I have a 12 gauge and use 2" Gamebore with felt wads. With the 26&1/2" barrels it weighs an accurate 6# 8.6 oz. Catalog weight is 6#'s 8oz.
I consider these the finest light 12 o/u ever made.
If you find an unaltered one at a good price, you will not be dissapointed.-Dick

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dick,
I have a modest collection of superlights and find them and their variations very interesting, and the shooting and field use of superlight weights great for me.
First of all let me introduce myself as a card carrying Browning nut..........here's my shrine:

Here's a box end I came across:

On the left is a 72 12 gauge underside with script, and the right is a 69 12 gauge without. The 69 is solid rib, slim forearm with crossbolt, non fluted comb, inetia trigger; the 72 has vent rib, schnable forearm without crossbolt, non fluted comb, mechanical trigger

All the catalogs I have refer to them this way:

here's a '69 price list vs a '76 price list:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.