Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Browning Sweet 16, the serial # is S-46371. The gun is in great condition with none of the usual fine forearm cracks that i have seen before. The blueing is also excellent - 90 - 95% is my guess. It has a smooth barrell with front and rear rifled sights. On the left side of the barrel it says "Browning Firearms Company ST Louis Mo & Montreal P.Q." below that it says Made in Belgium. It has the oval stamp with LEG in it and another saying 16-70. There is another stamp closest to the receiver that is marked * and what looks like a backwards P? On the right side of the barrel it says SPECIAL STEEL-16 *****-SHELLS 2 3/4" . I do not see any markings identifying the barrel type but I can tell you that it is 23" long.
What is the year and value?

Thanks!

Charles

Forgot too add that it is a round knob as well.

· Registered
5,649 Posts
Best I can tell, it's a 1956 model. 95% condition, plain barrel, $625. Value also depends on what part of the country you are in, as they are more valuable in certain areas. The solid matte barrel and vent rib add a lot more to the gun's value.

· Registered
5,649 Posts
The choke marking is usually located on the side of the barrel along the same line as the mfg's name.
Browning choke markings are as follows:

* designates full choke(F)
*- designates improved modified choke(IM)
** designates modified choke(M)
**- designates improved cylinder choke(IC)
**$ designates skeet(SK)
*** designates cylinder bore(CYL)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Albanygun,

I am aware of the markings and what they stand for. This particular gun shows no markings at all indicating barrel type. I have 3 other Sweet 16's and 4 Light Twelves that all carry these marks of some sort. This one has me baffled because of it's lack of these marks. My question is it possible for a Browning barrel to have no markings what so ever?? The barrel length is 24" which tells me that it must be a buck barrel maybe??

Thanks

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.