Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Browning Sweet 16, the serial # is S-46371. The gun is in great condition with none of the usual fine forearm cracks that i have seen before. The blueing is also excellent - 90 - 95% is my guess. It has a smooth barrell with front and rear rifled sights. On the left side of the barrel it says "Browning Firearms Company ST Louis Mo & Montreal P.Q." below that it says Made in Belgium. It has the oval stamp with LEG in it and another saying 16-70. There is another stamp closest to the receiver that is marked * and what looks like a backwards P? On the right side of the barrel it says SPECIAL STEEL-16 *****-SHELLS 2 3/4" . I do not see any markings identifying the barrel type but I can tell you that it is 23" long.
What is the year and value?

Thanks!

Charles

Forgot too add that it is a round knob as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nothing? I've looked at Brownings website for serial ID and still can't seem to figure it out, oh well, I'll wait.

Charles

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Best I can tell, it's a 1956 model. 95% condition, plain barrel, $625. Value also depends on what part of the country you are in, as they are more valuable in certain areas. The solid matte barrel and vent rib add a lot more to the gun's value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any chance that the barrel would not be marked to indicate the bore type? There isn't any stampings before the SPECIAL STEEL printing on the right side of the barrel. Any info on this?

Thanks

Charles

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
The choke marking is usually located on the side of the barrel along the same line as the mfg's name.
Browning choke markings are as follows:

* designates full choke(F)
*- designates improved modified choke(IM)
** designates modified choke(M)
**- designates improved cylinder choke(IC)
**$ designates skeet(SK)
*** designates cylinder bore(CYL)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Albanygun,

I am aware of the markings and what they stand for. This particular gun shows no markings at all indicating barrel type. I have 3 other Sweet 16's and 4 Light Twelves that all carry these marks of some sort. This one has me baffled because of it's lack of these marks. My question is it possible for a Browning barrel to have no markings what so ever?? The barrel length is 24" which tells me that it must be a buck barrel maybe??

Thanks

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts