Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Arizona shooters. What's up with the Ben Avery site ? Can't get any current shoot info. Would like to shoot some registered sporting. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I shot there today while in Phoenix on business and am heading back out tomorrow. I can say that this place is just awesome. Anyone travelling to Phoenix should check it out.
G

·
Registered
305 Posts
Then Ben Avery website has some new updates on it ... http://www.benaveryctc.com/

It isn't all the way there yet, but it does have the Sporting Clays shoots through August listed, as well as shoot flyers and the newsletter. There will be more to come, I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to a lesson from Dan Carlisle ... check out the newsletter.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Arizona Game and Fish department owns the property on the Ben Avery range. There have been some issues on how the facility is managed, G&F is now soliciting bids to get a different management organization to run the place.

If you want to shoot clays in the Phoenix area, check out Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa. We've recently expanded the facility to 16 stations and have received a lot of positive feedback about how challenging and how picturesque the course is.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
ras1500 said:
Arizona Game and Fish department owns the property on the Ben Avery range. There have been some issues on how the facility is managed, G&F is now soliciting bids to get a different management organization to run the place.

If you want to shoot clays in the Phoenix area, check out Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa. We've recently expanded the facility to 16 stations and have received a lot of positive feedback about how challenging and how picturesque the course is.
Rio Salado home of Tuesday night steel has sporting clays? When did it open? Is it a real clays course? It's been years since I've been there.

·
Registered
457 Posts
ysr-racer,

Yes, Rio Salado, the home of Tuesday night steel, has a real sporting clays course. It opened to the public fall of last year. We have 16 stations located along a path that winds through the desert. Everyone who has shot the course has always been complementary. We just put in our application to the National Sporting Clays Association. For information go to: www.riosaladosportsmans.com

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
ras1500 said:
ysr-racer,

Yes, Rio Salado, the home of Tuesday night steel, has a real sporting clays course. It opened to the public fall of last year. We have 16 stations located along a path that winds through the desert. Everyone who has shot the course has always been complementary. We just put in our application to the National Sporting Clays Association. For information go to: www.riosaladosportsmans.com
I got spanked a few times at the Ernie Hill a few years ago. Do they still hold it? I haven't shot my P9 in a while. I can't see the front sight anymore :)

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
457 Posts
YSR,

I don't shoot much practical pistol, only a few IDPA matches per year. I don't think we hold the Ernie Hill any more. The Desert Classic is the big practical pistol match held yearly at Rio. Plus there are several other sizeable practical matches held throughout the year. Again, I recommend you surf around RSSC's website for detailed information about the Practical programs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just started shooting sporting clays and have only shot at the new Rio Salado range in Mesa, Az. The course has 16 stations and a whole lot of diversity between stations. The course is set up in a large semicircle, and you go out stations 1 through 8 and back to starting point 9 through 16. No two stations are similar. The terrain is a little hilly with lots of desert vegatation to shoot through and around. Lots of larger desert trees,very large cacti-over 20-25 feet in height, etc. lots of vegatation variety on every station. It is really just completed and was being used as the final touches were being completed. They shoot 100 targets each session or whatever you call it, I am still learning. The range is operated by Az Fish and Game personnel. The person operating the traps usually has a golf cart with trailer to haul your gear around (but not always). Since I have never shot anywhere else, I have nothing for comparison. I have never had any problem shooting on Fri-Sun. A phone call gets you range time. A couple of shooters I have shot with that have also shot Ben Avery's range like the Rio clays set up better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.