Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am in the market for a new semi-auto shotgun and would like some info regarding reliability and quality of a few models. I have looked at the Benelli M2, SBE, and Montefeltro, as well as the Franchii I-12. I am not very familiar with Beretta models that would be appropriate, but would like input on them. The main use will be clays and pheasants, I have a Nova for anything requiring 3.5" loads.

I'm sure there will be much feedback regarding Brownings, which I don't know much about and the 11-87. I have been somewhat soured on the 11-87 because I think that the O-ring is a very weak link in the system. I think the SBE is more gun than I need, but some of you may feel differently, so please let me know your opinions. I dont want to spend more than $1K if at all possible, since I should be able to get quite a bit of gun for that amount.

Thank you again for feedback and I look forward to reading your replies.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
We need a sticky at the top of the page, of all the polls that ask the same thing.

I'll just say that you will find advocates of each, my choice out of the bunch would be some variety of Beretta because I despise Benelli, but none would be my choice.

And....the O-ring on the 1187 is not the weak link, some people have the original O-ring, used 20 years later. It is also no problem to carry around a spare if that is a worry.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My answer: All of 'em and a lot more!
Berettas are gas-operated which supposedly smooths out the recoil. Benellis are recoil-operated, and they paid "Shooting USA" on OLN to dedicate an episode to the advantages of their new Comfort-Tech system in taming the snap of their guns' recoil. Franchi sells both kinds.
Beretta owns Benelli, which owns Franchi. Beretta makes the barrels for all subsidiaries.
The best gun is the one that fits you best, regardless of cycling system.
Clear as mud, right?

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
fishwalli said:
I have been somewhat soured on the 11-87 because I think that the O-ring is a very weak link in the system.
Is that based on experience, or just hearsay?

I prefer a side by side for upland game. But of all the choices you have listed, I would have to go with the Franchi I-12. Benelli op system at less than Benelli prices. I also prefer walnut and blued steel in an upland/clays gun and the I-12 is available thus.

FWIW, the Beretta that fits in your poll is the 391 Urika.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for adding the Beretta model that fit into this comparison, I wasn't sure which was appropriate so I was hoping that someone would fill in the blank.

As far as my opinions on the 11-87, I have replaced o-rings in the field twice, only once on my own gun, and suffered through a day of sporting clays where my wife couldn't shoot any doubles once. As with most things, the more of any one model out there, the more complaints there are to be heard, even if they are a low percentage; I still think the 11-87 is a good gun, just not the direction I want to go.

Thanks again

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
fishwalli said:
As far as my opinions on the 11-87, I have replaced o-rings in the field twice, only once on my own gun, and suffered through a day of sporting clays where my wife couldn't shoot any doubles once. As with most things, the more of any one model out there, the more complaints there are to be heard, even if they are a low percentage; I still think the 11-87 is a good gun, just not the direction I want to go.

Thanks again
Now that is refreshing. Someone who actually speaks of personal experience, has a negative experience, retains the maturity to acknowledge the fact that in a production run as large as Remington's there are bound to be a few bad apples, yet does not trash the entire brand over it.

Hat's off to you, whether you like the 11-87 or not. :wink:

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
I'll list out some good all around models that I like and will work well for your intended uses.

$750.00 and up: Benelli M2 is Inertia operated. They are light in weight and very easy to clean. The have an automatic magazine cutoff and shims to adjust the stock. It has a good safety shape,size, and location. It holds four shells total and more if you add an extention. Some tend to think this design has more felt recoil than a gas operated gun.
Beretta AL391 is gas operated. They are fairly light and have very thin forearms. They have an automatic magazine cutff, bolt lock back lever, and shims for the stock. It holds four shells total and can not accept an extention.This design is more complicated to clean than most.
Browning Gold is gas operated. They are fairly light and pretty easy to clean. They have the speed load feature, stock shims, and a magazine cutoff switch. It has a good safety shape,size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extention. The forearm/receiver juction could be much better than it is. There is a $100.00 rebate on all Golds to the end of Dec. The Evolve and Fusion (Gold) models are similar to the standard Gold but are very light in weight and balance with more weight towards the stock.

$500.00-$750.00: Beretta 390 and 3901 are gas operated. They are basicaly the same gun with different shaped receivers. They are fairly light in weight, have stock shims, and automatic magazine cutoff's. They each hold four shells and can't accept extentions. They are not too bad to clean. The 390 only comes in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge.
Beretta Pintail/ES100 is inetia operated. It's fairly light and has a slim forearm. They are very easy to clean and has an automatic magazine cutoff . It holds five shells and can't be extended. Shims are available for this model. This model does not have a magazine release making the unloading take a tad longer than most.
Franchi 612 and 712 are gas operated. They are the same except for the receiver shape.They are very easy to clean and light in weight. They have an automatic magazine cutoff's and shims for the stock. They hold five shells and more with an extention. They don't have the best triggers in terms of weight and creep.
Weatherby SAS is gas operated. It is fairly light in weight and very easy to clean. It has a magazine cutoff switch and shims for the stock. It has a good safety shape,size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. This model was made by SKB first then Valtro for Weatherby. Parts do not interchange between the two.
Winchester SX2 is gas operated. It has decent weight and is pretty easy to clean. It has a high rib and stock shims are available. It hold five rounds and more if extended. This is the only model that does not have a magazine cutoff of any kind. The Light field model is the same but quite a bit lighter and balances with more weight towards the stock. The SX2 models have a $100.00 rebate to the end of Dec..

For upland only the Benelli Montefeltro and Franchi AL48 are about as good as it gets. For upland and a lot of clays the Beretta AL391, Browning Fusion, and Winchester SX2 Light Field would be my top picks. Take a look at as many models as you can and pick the one that feels the best for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Get the one that fits or feels the best. I have a Beretta Pintail and an Extrema in synthetic and a Franchi I-12 in satin walnut. All are unique and work extremely well. Good luck with your selection as you won't go wrong with any of the guns on the list. Troy Tatro

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you like hunting more than clays, or don't like cleaning shotguns, get the lightest of the bunch, the Benelli M2. Contrary to popular belief, the recoil with 2.75" clays rounds is more than tolerable enough for over 100 rounds. I weigh 250 though, so my view may be slanted.

If you like to tinker, clean, and shoot clay more, get the Beretta Urika or Parallel Target. They're a little heavier than the Benelli's but reek of class.

You should consider the weather in your choice and if it rains alot on your hunts, get one with a sythetic stock.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
On the o ring issue. I have a 1100 remingotn bought in 1970. The blue is worn completely off the reciever. I have no idea how much it has been shot. You couldn`t put all the game its taken in a tractor trailer. It has had a BUNCH of skeet and SC rounds through it. ORIGINAL O RING!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.