Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new Benelli ETHOS a couple of weeks ago, and finally got out today to run a few rounds through it...

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my new Benelli, and keep a running tab on this particular gun, so I hope you don't mind the pictures and round count along the way...

Benalli ETHOS / 12 ga. / 26" barrel

This gun came with a set of shims to allow the user to be able to adjust cast and drop at heel. I'm left handed, so I took full advantage of the available adjustments...

The gun also came with a couple of extra replacement sights in different colors...

The magazine plug that came with the gun, was an 8 1/4" aluminum rod. One thing that I did with the rod since taking this picture, was that I turned down 2" of the rod to a slightly smaller diameter, so I could use it as a make shift push rod, to punch out the trigger pin...

It takes less than 20 seconds to completely strip this gun down for cleaning...

After adjusting the stock for a perfect fit for ME, and cleaning the bore and action, I grabbed a couple of boxes shells, my automatic pigeon thrower, and headed out to the back of my property...

300 rounds later, I had NO bruise on my shoulder, shot my first 25 straight, and then shot my first 100 straight! This is the first gun I have owned, that after a few adjustments, fit me perfectly, and it made all the difference in the world...

Performance wise, I had absolute "0" issues with this gun! Of course I only shot 1 1/8 oz. loads. Felt recoil was very mild, with more of a soft push, instead of a sharp jab, like what I experience with other guns. This is easily becoming my new favorite gun...

More updates to follow...

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Randy Wakeman will take issue with your assessment of recoil. Every review I have read of his concerning the Ethos is that is it is a hard recoiling gun. I find that hard to believe, though, since I shoot a 12 ga Montefeltro with 1 1/8 oz loads and have always felt the recoil was quite light and manageable.

Looks like a really nice gun. Keep us informed on the performance!

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My fiance and I put another 200 rounds through my Benelli ETHOS yesterday, bringing the total number of rounds through this gun to 500...

Ammo used was Federal promo loads - 1 1/8 oz. @ 1,200 fps. and Federal Top Gun pink box 1 1/8 oz. loads...

Performance: FLAWLESS!

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Halwg,

this gun was far out of my price range too! I had enough guns to trade in on this one, that kept me from having to pay anything out of pocket for it. Otherwise, it would still be sitting in the dealers gun rack...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I shot an Ethos on a South Dakota Pheasant Preserve last fall, shot 9-10 pheasants a day, using Hi-Powers; 1 1/4 oz loads @1330 fps, never noticed the recoil. No issues with the gun, fast handling, perfect for that upland situation. Really didn't notice any recoil difference compared to the Beretta A-400 Light that I shot the previous trip, using the same load. The Ethos is definitely softer shooting than the Benelli Ultra Light, and about the same as the Benelli M-2 with comfortech stock.
For me, the Progressive Comfort shock absorber in the Ethos stock is a winner!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Halwg said:
Randy Wakeman will take issue with your assessment of recoil.<Snip>
And I'll take issue with Mr. Wakeman. Let me start with a brief intro, as this is my first post here. I am a life long shooter (I'm 72), but never really shot shotguns until the beginning of 2015. Now I shoot Skeet and Trap.

That being said, I bought an Ethos 11 months ago. It has had 2209 rounds through it as of today. I do only shoot 1 1/8th oz low base loads for Trap & Skeet but under these conditions, the Ethos barely has any recoil. An incredibly easy shotgun to shoot. This week I scored a 828U. We will see how that compares!

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bike Effects,

72 years old, God Bless you Sir!

Sounds like you like your ETHOS as much as I do...

As far as Randy Wakeman goes, I have never heard his name before joining this forum, and neither have the guys I shoot with...

·
Registered
28,184 Posts
Halwg said:
Randy Wakeman will take issue with your assessment of recoil.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I don't take "issue" with anyone's opinion of felt recoil and never have. It is merely a matter of opinion and personal preference and there is no reasonable comparative formula for that.

No matter how hot or cold a room is, it is still "Room Temperature." If you say that room feels hot, you're right. If you say the room feels cold to you, you are equally right.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Randy, I enjoy your reviews of new guns especially the detailed analysis such as trigger pull, actual gun weight , etc. However, your disdain for any kind of "springy recoil thing" is clearly noted. In the case of the Benelli Ethos, I see the the Progressive Comfort recoil system as innovative and a welcome improvement. The 1/4-3/8 inch of flex when shot with a heavy load doesn't negatively affect my shooting one bit. Same is true of the Beretta Kick-Off setup.
Innovative, compared to the weighty, expensive stock modification(Graco) style of the past.

The Ethos is a stylish evolvement of art of shotgun design,IMO. The trigger pull weight works for me. On the two, I've shot, one safety was a little stiff, but nothing a little lub and working it wouldn't cure. As I recall, you stated you had little use for the gun, which may be the case, since your "go to" upland seems to be a 20ga M2 with 24" barrel. That's great for you, but my guess is there may 10-20% of the pheasant hunters out there that select 3" 20ga over a 12ga, and maybe 10% of them would select a 24" barrel.

·
Registered
28,184 Posts

When you finish a discussion of a gun merely by saying "it's not all it is cracked up to be," that is hardly ranting and raving, nor should it be construed as some sort of mandate what other people might like or might not like. Some of the more spectacular "experiences" come directly from my readers: http://randywakeman.com/READERMAILFebruary2016.htm .

One of the most "unwanted" e-mails is from someone who just bought a new gun, and THEN they want to know all about it. That's really the wrong order of things, there is nothing to say except "good luck with it." There is no point to considering reviews after the purchase when you already have the gun in hand, at that juncture it is time to draw your own conclusions.

There are dozens of very long Benelli Ethos threads on Shotgun World, so this ground is extremely well-covered and well-worn at this late date. If the fascination is with the "Progressive Comfort" array, there is no universal agreement on it to say the very least, nor is there anything remotely approaching consensus on the various "Kick-Off" attempts.

As far as the goofy statement that "Randy Wakeman will take issue with your assessment of recoil," that's silly. Felt recoil is and always has been completely personal and there is no formula for how a gun feels to everyone. We can't agree on the single best type of recoil pad, much less the constant barrage of Comfortech, Kick-Off, SuperCell, Micro-Core, Inflex, or even the old "inertia vs. gas operated" stuff. That's why they call them choices.

It is no secret that Beretta, Benelli, Franchi, and Stoeger are all brands of the same company. If the "Kick-Off" was the holy grail, all Benellis would have them. If the Comfortech was the great answer, all Berettas would have them. If the "Progressive Comfort" was the universally agreed upon magic answer, naturally Beretta and Franchi would use this vital, can't live without it approach.

Yet, no Berettas have Progressive Comfort options, no Benelli's have "Kick-Off" options, and so it goes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I too thought this a very nice looking piece, so I bought one in early Octorber. I adjusted the fit and got it to where I liked it the way it came up for a new gun. After putting a flat of shells thru it at trap,skeet and five stand I considered it reliable enough for my SD pheasant hunting.

I hunted with it for two days. The wind was blowing and the birds were moving fast and high so I was shooting over priced and over hyped feather drawing #5 prairie storm. I could hit with it but really felt like it was beating me up. Nothing a good fitted stock would not fix but still too much for my liking. During a break I handed the Ethos to my best friend and said happy birthday. I went back to my Vinci. In my humble opinion it's the best auto loading shotgun to date, provided it fits you correctly.

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gold E,

were you not able to adjust the drop and cast to fit you? I probably spent over an hour adjusting the stock for a perfect fit for me, and then I started shooting the gun better...

If there was just one thing I could add to this gun, it would be a 30" barrel. I just prefer long barrels, and think the ETHOS would actually handle better with a longer barrel. Still overall though, it is a very well made and and balanced gun - perfect for upland game, with the occasional duck hunt thrown in for good measure...

I failed to mention the trigger pull in my first post, and after putting another 600 rounds through this gun, it is really beginning to grow on me. Total round count now is 1,700 rounds with "0" issues...

Ok, now the trigger. I have not done anything to the trigger on my gun, and just now put a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge on it, and it broke 7 times in a row at 3 lbs. 5 oz.. No other shotgun I own has as nice a trigger pull as what this gun does. I still like this gun, and so far I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
duckgoosehunt said:
Gold E,

were you not able to adjust the drop and cast to fit you? I probably spent over an hour adjusting the stock for a perfect fit for me, and then I started shooting the gun better...

If there was just one thing I could add to this gun, it would be a 30" barrel. I just prefer long barrels, and think the ETHOS would actually handle better with a longer barrel. Still overall though, it is a very well made and and balanced gun - perfect for upland game, with the occasional duck hunt thrown in for good measure...

I failed to mention the trigger pull in my first post, and after putting another 600 rounds through this gun, it is really beginning to grow on me. Total round count now is 1,700 rounds with "0" issues...

Ok, now the trigger. I have not done anything to the trigger on my gun, and just now put a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge on it, and it broke 7 times in a row at 3 lbs. 5 oz.. No other shotgun I own has as nice a trigger pull as what this gun does. I still like this gun, and so far I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with it...
I was able to make it fit pretty well but just didn't like shooting it. I was hoping I would because, as we all know it looks much better than the Vinci. I really prefer the Vinci trigger. It reminds me of a 1911 trigger.

·
Super Moderator
8,868 Posts
MOST shooters who say there is no or little recoil have not shot a lot of shotguns.
Hunting is different and recoil is not as noticeable.
I shoot 3 1/2" shells at geese and do not notice the recoil!
My Beretta 391 quit working in So Dak this December (single shot).
I replace the lifter bar and went to the range to see if I had it fixed.
I shot my pheasant loads. 1 3/8 oz #5. It cycled the loads fine.
The recoil was incredible! Yet, I don't notice it while hunting!

·
Banned
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why in the world anyone would ever shoot a 3 1/2" 12 ga. load at waterfowl is beyond me. I think it is one of the worst designs ever for a shotgun! It does NOT increase the kill range, and it does absolutely nothing to bring more birds to bag...

·
Super Moderator
8,868 Posts
duckgoosehunt said:
Why in the world anyone would ever shoot a 3 1/2" 12 ga. load at waterfowl is beyond me. I think it is one of the worst designs ever for a shotgun! It does NOT increase the kill range, and it does absolutely nothing to bring more birds to bag...
Each to his own.
Rarely do we get the geese to come into the decoys, feet down
These are big Canada geese, 12 lbs. Lots of feathers and fat.
Most shots are are quite long.
I choose to shoot 3 1/2" shells, sorry you don't agree.
I'd shoot 4" shells if they made them! :lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts