Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new shotgun since my Dad won't let me shoot steel through his old A-5, and have narrowed it down to these guns. I want it to be an all purpose gun, shooting clays, upland hunting with one side of my family, and duck/goose hunting with the other side (Cover the full range there?). I don't think I'll need a 3.5" chamber, and doubt I even have the accuracy to hit something at the extra few yards it gives compared to a 3" chamber.

I like the lightweight of these guns, and they both feel pretty similar, I really can't tell a difference between them in the store except for the big ones. Inertia vs. gas, synthetic vs. wood, Italian vs. Belgian. The Browning has a speedload feature which I grew up with. The balance of both is almost identical when I pick it up at the store, and they both have molded, slimmer foregrips which I prefer. From reading other posts, some people think the benelli is easier to clean, and I don't know which is more likely to jam. Does anyone have opinions/suggestions on either of the guns' recoil, durability, scratch resistance, etc.?

I'm also considering finding an older M1 on clearance off the internet to save a few bucks, especially reading some mixed reviews on the comfortech stuff on these forums. Also the Winchester Sx2 light field is an option (Similar to the Browning Fusion) but they have wider foregrips. I've picked up the Berettas, but wasn't overly impressed with the feel- I'll try one again today though at the store. Ultimately, any of these guns will do well and can be passed down to my kids I figure, but just was trying to see if there was some additional options to think about.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Welcome to SGW. Sounds like you have a good grasp on the listed models. Any of the models you mentioned are good guns. The M2 will be easier to clean than the Evolve. The Evolve is an easy gun to clean though. The Evolve is a little lighter and shorter in overall length. The Evolve holds five shells total to the M2's four. Their safeties are similar in size, shape, and location. Neither design is any more reliable than the other. A W/B finish is not as durable as a synthetic model. I don't, but most people tend to think a gas gun has less recoil over the other operating designs.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Here are my comments about the M2 that I have had for about a year and 1/2 now. I cannot comment about the browning though.

I have an M2 field with a wood stock and 28 inch barrel. I use it for Trap, 5-Stand, Sproting Clays and hunting. I have compared the recoil of this configuration against the comfortech stocks using the same loads through a round of 5-stand (25 Birds) and cannot tell the difference in recoil. I did notice slightly less recoil with the Beretta 390's though. But not enough difference to offset all of the jamming issues that I have seen with them at the range and sporting clays courses.

I average about 3 flats a month for the clay sports with out any gun related failures to fire. THis is over a 1.5 year period that I have had this gun. I use 2.75" 2.75Dram Eq., 1 ounce #8s for my clays shooting.

In the hunting department I bagged 14 pheasant last year, but so far none this year.

This year I went on a goose hunt where I ussed 3" #2 and #B heavy shot. I could not tell the difference in recoil between these shells and the 1 ounce target loaads that I use. THis is after going through 2 boxes of each. I was able to get 3 nice canadians. Part of this trip was also a duck hunt and it performed great there as well. This time I was using 2.75" #4 heavy shot with out any noticeable differences in recoil. I was only able to get 2 ducks though. One was a nice mallard drake and the other was a pintail drake. Since the linmit here includes only 1 pintail, and most all of the ducks that were cooperating were pintails that limited my bag.

So I think that you can say the M2 is a pretty good gun for your needs.

Pick the one that best fits your needs and shooting style and if you can try shooting them at a range before you buy.

Good luck and enjoy your choice.

Mike :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts