Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a Benelli M4 can have a full length magazine tube added. I read that the M4 has more than 10 parts manufactured overseas and can't be altered without a lot of paperwork. Did that restriction pass with the sunset of the Crime Bill?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
ChiefBirdsong said:
I read that the M4 has more than 10 parts manufactured overseas and can't be altered without a lot of paperwork. Did that restriction pass with the sunset of the Crime Bill?
IIRC, that would be Section 922 (o), and it is still in effect, as it was not part of the 1994 crime bill, but is part of the "non-sporting" import restrictions that Congress passed in in 1989.

I'll see if I can't dig up the relevent text...

Whoops, it was 922(r) that I was thinking of, with the requirement being no more than 10 parts from this list:

(1) Receiver.
(2) Barrels.
(3) Barrel extensions.
(4) Mounting blocks, trunion.
(5) Muzzle attachments.
(6) Bolts.
(7) Bolt carrier.
(8 ) Operating rod.
(9) Gas pistons.
(10) Trigger housing.
(11) Triggers.
(12) Hammers.
(13) Sears.
(14) Disconnectors.
(15) Buttstock.
(16) Pistol Grip.
(17) Forearms, handguards.
(18 ) Magazine bodies.
(19) Followers.
(20) Floorplates.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
This was posted in the archives at Arfcom:

I received the following reply from the BATF today regarding the Benelli M1014 / M4 super 90 shotgun:

Dear Mr. *****:

This refers to your letter of September 21, 2004, to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), in which you ask about adding a telescoping stock and a magazine extension to a Benelli M1014 shotgun.

A shotgun with a telescoping stock or a magazine greater than 5 rounds is prohibited from importation into the United States under the provisions of section 925(d)(3) of Title 18, United states code (U.S.C.). Assembly of such a shotgun from imported parts is prohibited under 18, U.S.C. Section 922(r). The implementing regulations in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 478, Section 478.39 (formerly Part 178, Section 178.39) prohibit assembly of such a shotgun that contains more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of the regulation. Please see the enclosed brochure for further information. Assembly of such a shotgun using 10 or less of the listed import parts is not prohibited. The shotgun is also subject to whatever State laws and local ordinances may apply.
We thank you for your inquiry and trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your request.

Sincerely yours,

(signed)
John A. Spurgeon
Chief, Firearms Programs
Important part in red.

See this thread at AR15.com:
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=231421 and take a look at what folks are doing to try get the required US-made parts going.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you. I guess there is no way around this. Are there any U.S.A. manufacturers making parts available to reduce the foreign contact. I was going to order one with the standard stock so that I remove the pistol grip from the list, but the stock is still foreign manufactured.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The fact is Benelli did imported shotguns with tube ext on them for years after the 1989 law was passed and the ATF knew about it and did nothing until one day they decided to stopped it. FN was importing the SLP auto shotguns recently and hundreds are now in the country. The ATF finally decided to stopped it but the guns are here to stay with the tubes installed. They are still selling now, I have one in stock. I wouldn't worry. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightening than the ATF ever saying anything about your M4 with an ext tube on it. It is just not on their priority list because shotguns with ext tubes are common place.

Exhibition Shooter Tom Knapp has a Extension tube on his Benelli.

GC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts