Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am absolutely sitting on the fence, cash in hand, between the 2... lets hear it. I do not have the ablilty to field test either. Is the Inertia recoil really that noticeable? Is the gas system more prone to jamming? My main use is inland waterfowling followed by dove hunting & clays. Take your personal pick... expirences welcome....

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Either one will do the job. I own both which is another option for you :roll:
However I would tend to go with the Urika 2 for what you are going to use it for.
The Monte is a great upland gun, light and very well balanced.
The Urika is a very soft shooter and may feel better when shooting 3 inch magnums in your waterfowl hunting. Of course everyone has their opinion on which has the most recoil but for the most part the gas guns tend to have less felt recoil.
The monte is super easy to clean with very little to go wrong, while the Urika will go a long time between cleanings but can cause a problem if totally neglected.
As I said I have both. I have a Monte Silver in 20 ga. for upland and my Urika in 12 ga. for waterfowl, and whatever, especially volume shooting because it is so comfortable to shoot and I shoot well with it.
Have you taken a look at the Benelli Ultra Light, I am hearing some great things about this shotgun.
Good luck :!: :D

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
I agree that both are very good guns that are well made and reliable. I don't think there is any difference in felt recoil between the various operating systems as long as things like fit, weight and the same load is used.

The Monte is Inertia operated and the AL 391 is Gas operated. The Monte is easy to clean and the AL391 is one of the more complicated auto loaders to break down. Both can go long periods between cleanings with the Monte having the edge. They are both very thin thru the forearm with about the same width. They have a similar stock heavy balance point. The Monte is about a 1/4 lighter in weight. They both have shims to adjust the stock for a better fit. The AL391 comes in W/B, B/S, and camo finishes. The Monte only comes in a W/B finish. They both have low rib heights. They both have automatic magazine cutoffs. The AL391 has a cartridge release button and the Monte has a lever. The AL391 has the additional bolt lock lever on the left side of the receiver. The AL391 has a top locking lug and the Monte has a rotary bolt face. Because of this, the Monte is a longer than the AL391 with the same barrel lengths. The Monte has the safety at the back of the trigger gaurd and the AL391's is at the front. The Monte holds five rounds total to the four for the AL391 and neither can take an extension. The AL391 has a little bigger bore diameter which tend to pattern hard non toxic loads better. The AL 391 will be less expensive than the Monte.

The Monte can be used for other things besides upland but, that is what its geared for though. For you intended uses the Benelli M2 would more than likely be a better comparsion. Another very good model would be the Browning Gold. Then for less there is a bunch of very good mid price models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts