Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I finally managed to get out shooting together. The girls are getting older= we can slip away together for a couple of hours now. Anyway, the kick of my 20ga.SxS was a little much for her. She loved the .410 Wingmaster, but couldn't hit with it. Well,we started talking about the possibility of a 20ga. autoloader being a good combination of more pattern with less kick. We wound up down at a local sporting goods store to let her get a feel of some 20ga. autos. She tried everything they had from Remington up, and decided that her favorite, as far as fit and feel, was the Benelli Montefeltro with a short stock. I have to admit that the gun has a great feel to it, slim forend and weighs only a little over 5lbs.My concern is felt recoil. I've heard that the absolute least recoil comes with a gas operated gun. However,cosiderable additional weight seems to come along with the gas operated package as well. I've also read good things about the reliability of the Benelli vs gas operated guns. Anybody with some experience actually shooting the Benelli? After typing this I've started thinking the better place to it may have been the Women's forum,but when you type like me....Anyway,I'm really interested in opinions concerning felt recoil. My wife's had surgery to one elbow,the other's not much better. So a combination of lightweight and low recoil,although difficult to find, is what we're looking for.
Thank You,
Jim

·
Registered
305 Posts
My girlfriend is but a wee thing, and bruises very easily. We got her a a Benelli Montefeltro Short Stock in 20ga. and it works great for her. She had a problem with mounting the gun correctly at first, and got some serious bruises, but she got that corrected, and now she can shoot all day without any discomfort or bruising. She uses a Browning shooting vest with the "Reactar Pad" about 25% of the time.

The gun has been absolutely wonderful. We enjoy the time shooting together a lot, and I think most of that is because of the Montefeltro. She's not very much fun when she is getting battered, and since she got the mount right, she actually nags me TO GO shooting!

She shot 4 rounds of trap (100 shots) on Sunday with no pain or discomfort of any kind. I think the most she's shot in any day was 150 shots, with no problems.

As a plus, the guns are so easy to clean, she actually cleans her own gun! If I'm really nicce, she has been known to clean mine, as well.

I say go for the Montefeltro!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I routinely shoot a Benelli Sport, which is essentially a 12Ga Monte-in-disguise. Mine easily cycles light loads without issue and recoil is negligible unless I choose to shoot heavier payloads. If you're looking at the 20Ga Montefeltro, I believe that you are pretty safe territory, particularly if the gun fit is a good one for her.

John

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I've,since posting,heard some good things through word of mouth concerning recoil as well. The reviews were excellent. Anything that can be used for dove hunting in South America,day in and day out,with little cleaning and without a hitch,to me classifies as reliable.We'll be out shooting my wife's new Montefeltro by the weekend, provided the dealer still has it in stock. I'll drop a post here with results.
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Benelli. I've got a 12 ga. Monte and it doesn't kick much at all with the light loads you'll likely be using. I know that felt recoil is a subjective thing but your wife shouldn't have any problems. And you'll really appreciate that gun when you get home and have to clean it...

One suggestion : If you don't break it down after use, I'd loosen the rod retaining cap (obviously making sure you re-tighten it before the next trip to the range !!). It can be very difficult to remove if the gun is left assembled for long periods.

Enjoy !!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We tried out the Montefeltro this morning. My wife loves it.I think it kicks a little harder than I had expected, she doen't seem to notice. I tried a few different loads in it,from high brass high power to some 7000 psi. loads that I got for my SxS. It never failed to eject or reload.It points well too.Despite the 12.5" LOP,I was hitting doubles then picking off the larger pieces on the way down as though I'd been shooting it all my life.Money well spent,both for the gun and the new hobby I now share with Patti. She wants to shoot again tomorrow.
Jim

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I don't know about you guys but it sounds like Jim just got HIM a new shotgun and is letting Patti use it :)

I'm glad to here about the gun and the new thing y'all have to share together.

I won't be suprised in the future to be hearing of you shooting the Montefeltro though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.