Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware of buying the short stock model for your child with the intent of replacing the stock in the future unless your willing to pay $260 for a new butt stock ! When it was purchased the dealer told me it would be around $100 - I contacted Benelli and told them the story and their reply was pretty much sorry but too bad. Worst customer service I ever had with a Firearm company. I could tell you several stories of RUGER's excellent customer service and would have bought another gun from them but the don't make the Montifeltro. My suggestion is if you NEED a youth model buy a Remington and buy a full size gun when they're big enough. I'll never buy another Benelli

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
marinerman said:
When it was purchased the dealer told me it would be around $100 - I contacted Benelli and their reply was pretty much sorry but too bad.
Sounds to me like a case of the dealer telling falsehoods, which can't be blamed on Benelli.

Unfortunately not all dealers are knowlegeable and at least a few will tell the customer anything to get the sale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW - Through many emails with Benelli they cannot tell me why the 20 ga stock is $260 and the only 12 ga stock I can find (new) are just over $ 60. Thier reson is they are good quality and the 12 ga must be for an old model. When I asked how I can confirm that I never heard another reply. Just cause I won't roll over doesn't make it a 'weak cause'

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
marinerman said:
Just cause I won't roll over doesn't make it a 'weak cause'
That is a signature line that appears at the bottom of all my messages, that IMHO does not apply to you.

I was attempting to determine if it was the dealer not being up front.

I have no interest in defending Benelli, I have not owned one in 10 years.

Sometimes the small gauge gun's parts from some manufacturers are more costly because they don't make a large number of them compared to the 12g guns.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
marinerman-I think you have a lot bigger problem with your dealer than Benelli. He either flat out lied to you, or he said that to make the sale. I would definitely be in HIS face about this, letting him know that word-of-mouth will cost him big $$$ in the end if he doesn't help you out with this. This can be quite an effective persuader, especially if there are other customers within hearing distance. Good dealers either tell the truth, or say that they really don't know what a specific part costs.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I am wondering if the $260 was MSRP for the stock. I would approach the dealer you bought the gun from and ask him to sell you a full size stock for $100, since you bought the gun from him and he lead you to believe that the new stock would only be $100.

I would not be confrontational about the transaction until he makes it clear he is not will to work with you on it. There is a lot to be said about the old saying that "You can catch more flies with honey then vinegar".

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
$260 isn't out of line with what you would have to pay for a new 391 stock from Beretta. The issue isn't Benelli, but your dealer for whatever motivation he had for making his statement to you. There are spacers, with a new pad, would easily give you the extened LOP you need. You can also glue a piece of wood to the butt and shape it to get whatever length you want. Adjustable LOP buttplates would do it, but do add weight to the back of the gun. While those aren't the solution you want, they are the solutions you have available. The other is to sell the youth model and buy a full size gun.
Dave

·
Registered
402 Posts
If your youth stock is in good shape you could probaly sell it and offset that cost.

I bought my son a full size 20ga and had to buy a youth stock, same high price. I have both stocks here so he can use the adult one in a few years. I will probably sell the youth one when it comes off. All this after doing the same thing with a REM 1100 LT20 with two stocks, only thing, that gun was unreliable with target ammo. :roll:

The 20ga Monetfeltro has been flawless and is adjustable to fit the shooter and almost a pound lighter. Makes the extra cost seem irrelevant when you see the smile from the broken clays and harvested roosters on their face. :D

·
Registered
596 Posts
marinerman said:
Beware of buying the short stock model for your child with the intent of replacing the stock in the future unless your willing to pay $260 for a new butt stock ! When it was purchased the dealer told me it would be around $100 - I contacted Benelli and told them the story and their reply was pretty much sorry but too bad. Worst customer service I ever had with a Firearm company. I could tell you several stories of RUGER's excellent customer service and would have bought another gun from them but the don't make the Montifeltro. My suggestion is if you NEED a youth model buy a Remington and buy a full size gun when they're big enough. I'll never buy another Benelli
I have a Benelli M2 with the walnut stock. For reasons that I wont go into, I need to replace the but stock on that gun. The cost for the walnut Butt Stock was just a little over $300.00 with tax out the door. So your price does not seem so bad.

Mike :D

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Neanderthal said:
I think you have a lot bigger problem with your dealer than Benelli. He either flat out lied to you, or he said that to make the sale.
emaki said:
he lead you to believe that the new stock would only be $100.
Dave Holmes said:
The issue isn't Benelli, but your dealer for whatever motivation he had for making his statement to you.
This is the point I was trying to make.

The dealer was the one that raised the expectation that a stock could be purchased for $100.00.

Dave Holmes said:
$260 isn't out of line with what you would have to pay for a new 391 stock from Beretta
Yes, it is also in the range of MSRP for new, factory target grade stocks to the 1100 Skeet and Sporting Clays models as well. From my experience, a good quality walnut stock is not an inexpensive commodity; the dealer should have known that but I have found just because someone is behind the counter of a shop, it doesn't mean they are an expert.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
$260 for a new stock is not out of line at all. Hate to tell you what plain jane wood costs for some O/Us, let lone what they charge for some figure.

Another way to go would be to buy a more popular 12ga gas operated gun like a Beretta 391. There are plenty of used stocks floating around that you could cut down and save a few dollars. Or, buy the reduced length model made for ladies & youths and add a longer stock later.

When I first read your heading, I thought perhaps that you had realized that 20ga youth guns tend to kick the snot out of the shooter. The 12ga is usually the softer shooting gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.