Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. guys, looking for some opinions on this one. i am contemplating purchasing a Nova for mostly turkey hunting (maybe some small game & pheasant also). I'm considering the one in HD camo with a 24" bbls. What gauge do you think I should get, being that I don't own a 20 ga. at this time, and my wife and young boys will be shooting in a few years (not that I won't buy another gun by then!) I guess what I'm asking, is a 20ga. fine for turkey hunting? I have always used 12 ga., just curious about the 20's power and pellet count I guess. I know I can use 3" magnums in the 20. I'm not a 3 1/2' kinda guy anyway. Thanks guys for the input in advance!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My next shotgun will probably be a 20.

Reason? Hevi-Shot. When I need it to kill game, it's there. Else I can shoot cheap wally-world discount ammo.

I don't think there's much an 870 in 20ga won't do. Deer, check. Ducks, check. Turkey, check.

It's at the lower end of effectiveness in some regards... but I hardly think this is a problem.

G

·
Actually the nova has a nice recoil reduction option that can be installed very easily. The 12 ***** I have with a 28" barrel with recoil reduction is very light on felt recoil. I don't know why, other than weight issues , a 20 would be better. Just my opinion. A 20 could have just as much kick if not more than a 12.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not asking if the 20 is better than a 12, and recoil is not a concern. I'm just asking if the 20 will get the job done in the turkey woods? I also would like to hear some more information and experiences with the Benelli Nova ( 20 or 12). Thanks guys!

G

·
I have 2 Nova's---a 12 and 20----BOTH have 24in barrels and BOTH have the factory mag extentions.

The 12 is full camo including the extention.

The 20 is full black including the extention.

They have been flawless so far----they have the rattle-y fore ends---but I think that issue is overblown too.

Good guns

I kind of think the 20 is too small for turkeys and waterfowl----other than that ---go for it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have the 12 and I would say get a 12 for turkey hunting. It has the advantage of having the 3.5" chamber. I'm not neccesarily saying that you'll need this in the turkey woods but if you ever want to go waterfowling that 3.5 can reach out and touch stuff. I say this because I don't have the $$ for Hevi-shot and such, so I'm stuck with regualar old steel where you need more powder to get the same punch. By the way Nova's are great guns, cant wait to get home from college and tear into some ducks and bunnys.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have two Novas, a 12 field & a 20 field, and at one time had an additional two in defensive trim. In my opinion, the Nova is the single best value for the buck in any shotgun, anywhere.

For turkey, I'd get the 12 with rifle or fibre optic sights. For shooting with the familiy, pick up a nice Remington 870 youth 20Ga to start them out on. While the 20ga Nova is svelte, light and fast (and fun!), it's still an adult gun, and the kids will do better with a shotgun proportioned for them.

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 14 year old son killed his first turkey this year with a 20 ***** Benelli Montifeltro, using 3 inch Rem Hevi-Shot. It was a 20 yard shot to the head that simply floored the bird. It never even flapped a wing. Stone Dead!

I'm a believer!

If your going to use it for grouse and pheasant also, I'd suggest at least a 26 inch barrel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 20g Nova in 24" barrel config. It shot its first grouse last weeknd, a front to back overhead shot that I have missed a few time before.

I think the 20 with the Hevi would be fine for turkey. The benellis seem to have slightly tighter chokes, my IC choke is tighter then my Ithaca 37 IC by about 10%.

I really like this gun and plan on keeping it a long time, and I am famous for trading guns like falling waters ...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Get the 20; the 12 is way too heavy for a pump especially if shared with wife and kids. As above, HEVI is the answer. BTW on the Benelli site it states that the recoil reducer is not availabe for the 20ga guns. Besides it would add too much weight to a nice balanced 20ga Nova you want to walk with. The 12 would be best reserved for the goose blind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.