Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking at possibly buying a Benelli Nova; shoulders great, nicely proportioned for my size, good versatility. One problem, they have a pretty bad rattle in the foregrip I thought it might have just been the one gun, but have now shouldered 4 different ones and all have the same noise. Is there a way to get rid of this chatter or atleast quiet it down? perhaps tightening the two allenscrews on the slide, or maybe even putting some of the felt used on the riser of bows beside the arrow rest would work if placed inside the slide???

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
on mine it rattles but very, very little it doesn't make any noise.it just takes a little getting used to. they are great guns

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
That rattle also bothered me about the nova. I was considering getting one a little while ago. But it reminds me of a Daisy BB gun I had when I was a kid. Kind of makes you wonder if there is a reason why Benelli hasn't tried to find a way to eliminate or minimize that annoyance. It's a great gun for the price but I can't stand that sloppy forend.

G

·
Just the nature of the beast----don't get it if you can't see past it.

Otherwise---me and my 2 Nova's are doing just fine-----thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that mine does this as well. What is very interesting though, is that I am completly unaware of this when I am shooting! My bro has an 870, and his foregrip is rock solid, but it doesnt seem to make any difference when I actually shoot. Its weird, cause it bugs me when I handle the gun, but for some reason it goes away (or I just dont notice it) when I am actually shooting at a target. I wonder if others notice this as well?

G

·
I had a pretty bad rattle when I got mine. I found on another BBS that the guys were torquein the allens on the slida down.

I did just that, makes the gun lots quieter, still some noise but I'd say it reduces by 85% or more.

I guess they all ship that way cause I've heard lots of complaints.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rattling pisses me off. I only bought the one I have because I got it for $75. The gun is perfect all of the springs were rplaced and only the barrel has a wang at the tip of it.

For sprting fine, but for tactical use and hardcore hunting I say no to Nova. The rattling could give up your position or scareawy game. When it rubs against my gear or brush it rattles. When I spring it rattles.

As I say.. for sporting it's fine, but for Tactical, defense and hardcore hunting it's a lousy choice. It's a tragedy too, because that one little flaw that Benelli hasn't fixed yet makes the gun more of a compromise than a help.

Just makes me wonder how the engineers could fudge up some little detail. design this great piece of hardware than leave a terrible flaw in it's design that could have easily been fixed, but has been ignored for a decade.

I like the Nova, but I'd say get a 500 or an 870 if you want to keep a low profile, because I know I don't want to get shot because the shooter heard my gun rattle.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The fix for this on the standard Nova is to carefully tighten the 2 set screws on each side of the forearm with an allen wrench. A little goes a long way and if you overtighten them you can affect your ability to cycle it well.

FWIW - Benelli fixed the problem in the new SuperNova. For about $100 more than the standard Nova you can get the ComforTech recoil reduction system, and adjustable stock with shim kit, the aforementioned tightened forearm and a shotgun that has the capability to morph into a host of different configurations through optional stocks and barrels.

I recently bought a SuperNova and love it. If you have to have a 20 gauge, then you'll have to go with the standard Nova. The SuperNova is 12 gauge only at this point.

L'duck <><

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tightened down the action bars a long time ago via allen screws. First thing I noticed and tried. In my opinion it's not tight enough. Too much chatter. When one rattle makes more noise than my footsteps and my gear.. it's too loud.

Might just be me. Maybe I'm really light footed, stealthy and have great hearing. So it seems too LOUD to me.

I can't get the screws any tighter, they are tightend all the way. Luckily the tension doesn't retard or delay the cycling.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just tightened the allen screws on mine , it helps a little- but still has a little rattle. I got mine when I took another gun back to dealer for problem. They gave me store credit- the nova was only gun in that price range for even swap, so I got it. I have the camo pattern- love the gun don't notice the rattle when outside- just when inside. Use mine to deer hunt- no problem with deer hearing it. I do wish there was a way to eliminate the rattle - otherwise it's a perfect shotgun. If anyone finds the answer please post it. Thankz!!!!!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Anonymous said:
Just the nature of the beast----don't get it if you can't see past it.
I couldn't agree more... The best pump available today in my opinion if one can stand the odd look of the shotgun. These shotguns simply never jam using all 12ga size loads. I've never had a problem hunting with the Nova over the forearm rattle including bagging a turkey with the shotgun also. I don't do the tactical shotgun thing so I won't comment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Nova is an excellent shotgun, one of the best. I think it's unconvential appearance is sleek. I do agree It's feeding and ejection is superior.

The problem is.. it was designed with tactical in mind, that's what the mag cuttoff is for. To allow quick ejection of buckshot without accidentally loading the next shell or jamming a shell while trying to load a slug or less lethal shell.

The rattle creates a serious problem. It's the kind of thing that will alert someone to your presence. Especially in a confinemnt. Like a pencil hitting a classroom floor.

Oh well, life goes on. It has it's place. Just not where noise gets people killed :)

I thought the only difference between the standard an Super is the reciever. Everything else is the same.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Same here great gun ,just shot nice fall gobbler with it. You want to hear rattle get a Mossberg. Of the 3 cheap pumpguns the Mossberg 500 ,870 express and Nova . I,ll take the Nova anyday!

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
I had a little rattle on mine and by gently tightening the allen screws, that took care of the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.