Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used or seen the Benelli Nova Tactical Shotgun???
I held an 18" Nova yesterday but I like the Ghost Ring Sights and the tactical comes that way...it seems to be right around 300 bux so right in the hunt with a Remington 870 Express, Winchester/FN 1300 Defender, and Mossberg 500/590 series...your thoughts on this for a home defense shotgun which may be called for the occaisional bird hunt or skeet shoot? :shock: :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a ghost-ringed Nova and, like my 12 & 20 Ga field Novas, find it to be a great value in a shotgun. It's survived a Defensive Shotgun session at Thunder Ranch with no fault, and works flawlessly. That said, if I were buying just a single gun for do-it-all purposes I'd get myself a 12Ga Nova (or Rem 870) field gun w/ 26" barrel. The reasons? You're far more likely to shoot skeet or birds (more often, too) than home intruders, but if you have to defend yourself and you're holed up in your "strong" room, the extra 8" of barrel is going to make virtually no difference. If you know where the threat is coming from (the doorway) the target acquisition benefits of the Ghost Rings are negligible over a bead w/ long sight radius. And, sad to say, in our lawsuit-prone society, a hunting arm is an easier sell to a jury than a scary "tactical" gun ( and the short Nova IS scary, no two ways about it). One of our TR instructors said "If you have to shoot somebody, no matter what, it's a big bite out of a s*** sandwich". Why take a bigger bite than you have to?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your reply but would have preferred to have heard more...my local (kinda local) gun shop tells me (as did several others) Nova better for birds and game, Mossberg better for home defense (and he really did say it Frankenstein-like!)
Thanks,
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call, FamilyGuy! Sorry not to have elaborated on the Nova, Silversport, but I'll be happy to post a bit more on the topic. I'm sure someone else will be weighting in soon also, given the several Nova/870/Mossy threads running right now.

I've had all of these guns at one time or another: three M500s, two 870s and four Novas. The only pumps left in the safe are the Benellis. The different makes are all good guns in their own way, each with attributes that the others lack.

The M500 is by far the Chevrolet of the group: cheap, dependable, a bit rough, easily repaired. My first shotgun was a Mossberg. I wouldn't have a problem with doing any kind of shooting with a Mossy, and would have no problem with it as a primary defensive gun. It's not fine, but it is bread-and-butter.

The 870 is more like a Buick: been around for a long time, standard setting in its time, and a pretty good value for the money. 870 parts- both original and aftermarket goodies- are plentiful, and getting a spare stock or barrel to make your gun multi-purpose is child's play. If it's good enough for hundreds of local police departments, then there's got to be substance there, and you seldom hear stories of the 870 that failed in the clutch. 870 actions slick up nicely with use, too.

I'd equate the Nova to a Cadillac: it's pretty far up the "pump-gun" quality curve, is fully featured and has alot going for it. Novas have lots of good things about them, and a few things some folks just don't care for. The 21st Century styling is love-it-or-hate-it, and it's construction is such that shortening the stock is just about impossible. It's new, and relatively unproven in the test of time. It's largely plastic with a chromed bore, so it's much more corrosion resistant than stock 500s or 870s. Forget about accessory barrels- getting one costs almost as much as a new Nova. It's action is 3.5" magnum by design, and it shucks very, very quickly. You can field strip it in moments without tools. I've heard of people having magazine feed problems with their Novas, but I have one from each of the first three years of production and haven't had a single failure of any kind (operator-induced short stroke not included!) over thousands of rounds.

As far as pricing goes, they are all more or less in the same range: 500s around $200, Novas around $300 and 870Exp somewhere in between. As shotguns go, that kind of price spread is vanishingly small.

So, I guess the questions are, "what do you like?" and "what do you want?". Anyone who feeds you a line about how 'this one is golden and that one is crap' is, well, feeding you a line. Every shotgun type manufactured has it's exapmles that got past QC, but in my book every one of these is an excellent choice for durability and reliability. The only remaining choice is value, which is a choice you have to make for yourself. For me it's the Benelli, but I fault no one who chooses an M500 or an 870.

Let us know what you choose!

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JD Wiley:
I appreciate your answer and I didn't mean that YOU had to elaborate...I was hoping several others would weigh in...however, re-reading your posts...I am really leaning to the NOVA...The Gun Dealer had a Winchester 1300, Mossberg 500/590s, Remington 870s, a used but nice Wingmaster (about 100 bux more than the new express...does THAT say something about Remington 870 EXPRESS quality???) and the Benelli Nova.
He didn't really lean too far any way but did say (and he was the 3rd gun shop to say so) that Benelli Novas were the best pump for the money...or get an 870 they always work, or save some bux and get the mossberg, or the winchester if thatz what you want...but the Russian shotguns they had only came with a 60day warranty...what does that tell you (This is what HE said!)
I want a shotgun...I am an LEO and I gotta say the Benelli M3 Super (pump AND semi-auto, GRS and pistol grip) feel like home to me...I SAY I want a home defense gun but I would probably not really ever use it (doesn't EVERYONE say that until it happends to them???) I would probably go bird (pheasant mostly) more than use it for home defense...
So maybe you can see my confusion :?:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JD Wiley:
I appreciate your answer and I didn't mean that YOU had to elaborate...I was hoping several others would weigh in...however, re-reading your posts...I am really leaning to the NOVA...The Gun Dealer had a Winchester 1300, Mossberg 500/590s, Remington 870s, a used but nice Wingmaster (about 100 bux more than the new express...does THAT say something about Remington 870 EXPRESS quality???) and the Benelli Nova.
He didn't really lean too far any way but did say (and he was the 3rd gun shop to say so) that Benelli Novas were the best pump for the money...or get an 870 they always work, or save some bux and get the mossberg, or the winchester if thatz what you want...but the Russian shotguns they had only came with a 60day warranty...what does that tell you (This is what HE said!)
I want a shotgun...I am an LEO and I gotta say the Benelli M3 Super (pump AND semi-auto, GRS and pistol grip) feel like home to me...I SAY I want a home defense gun but I would probably not really ever use it (doesn't EVERYONE say that until it happends to them???) I would probably go bird (pheasant mostly) more than use it for home defense...
So maybe you can see my confusion :?:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Silversport:

I'm completely with you on the confusion thing, and honestly, untangling it all is part of the fun in choosing your firearm. I'll give you this final opinion and then shut up: I make the Nova to be the single best VALUE in a firearm going anywhere, period. My gun of choice is a Benelli Sport, but an 'ON' day with the Nova yields results just as good, so make your own call- but I think 84% hit ratio on a Sporting Clays couse is doing OK with a pumper.
The M3 would be cool, though. Gotta think about that some more...
Let us know what you land on.
John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John:
I ended up with a Scattergun Technologies/Wilson Combat 870 Border Patrol Model...I picked it up LN (200 rounds...not a mark on it) from a guy who had it converted from an early '70's era 870 Wingmaster...kept the nicely configured and checkered wood furniture...Trak Lok GRS, Trijicon front tritium blade, 6 round 2 3/4" in Armor Tuff finish (nicer than the gray phosfate standard finish...self lubricating) action is smooth as glass...Looks brand new, was made 2/02...Thanks for the help...now I need that bird gun...
Bill :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SS:

Excellent choice- top notch quality & reliability, and definitely a step up the scale. A little rich for my blood in a limited-application firearm, but it sounds as if you found a sharp deal. What's the bird gun gonna be?

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do I look for another Wingmaster??? An Express??? Or the Nova...the price is BEST on the Nova, if I went Wingmaster, I would look for a good used, I think...I may leave the Express alone...Remington's site says the Express is just a Wingmaster with cheap wood and unpolished EXTERIOR...no one else says that (I am not putting down the Express...it's just NOT a Wingmaster)
Yes, the price was right on for the Border Patrol SGT 870...It was more than I wanted to pay but was well under a new one, had the "better" eatlier Wingmaster mechanicals and they kept the BEAUTIFUL configured wood and what appears to be hand cut checkering with "Fleur de Lis."
Your thoughts???
Thanks,
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the bird gun, which will get wet, banged around in a blind/boat, maybe used as a paddle, etc, my choice would be the Nova (bet you guessed that, right?), although it's still hard to go wrong with an 870.

I really like fine wood on a shotgun, but I find myself getting concerned about whether I scratched my stock, not focused enough on the task at hand- thus my fondness for synthetic stocks on working guns. If you're like me that way, you might want to save your nice originals for later use and pick up a syn set for your Scattergun Tech 870, so you don't have to feel bad about grounding your gun if you need to. Cabela's has a sharp deal on Hogue overmolded stock sets, $29.99 www.cabelas.com item#:22-3829 order code:870. Or you could just shoot it and enjoy it :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey, thanks...I will look into that...it WAS the wood that did me in...don't get me wrong...I like the black synthetic stocks...I think they look mean and are definitely purpose built but that wood and fancy cut checkering...on a combat shotgun... :shock: ...its very nice and won me over...plus the guy I bought it from was top notch...a gunwriter...it was in perfect condition.
Bill

My only reason for staying with Remington would be operational being the same but 3 Washingtons for a Benelli is pretty sweet! 8) :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts