Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to who has what opinions of these guns and why. As in, which will last longer, be more reliable, that sort of thing. I'm looking into these two shotguns especially right now and I'd like some extra, personal, information. And yes, I know, all these have their "coke vs pepsi" deal. Some like some and others like others for various reasons. I'm just curious. Thanks all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i bought to mossberg over the benelli. i looked at these same two guns also. i just preferred the look and feel of the 500. most people prefer the nova but i just really liked the 500.

G

·
They are both fine shotguns that should give years of service. I bought the Nova for a couple of reasons that were important to me. My Nova "Slug Gun" came equipped with excellent ghost ring sights, and it was only $300 out the door. I also liked the magazine cut-off feature of the Benelli that lets me eject a round in the chamber without loading the next round from the magazine. Field stripping the Nova for cleaning is a snap, and it just "felt right." It's just a matter of personal preferences.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I think these are apples and oranges.
While the Mossberg is a fine gun it's, in my opinion, a first timers type of gun, I'd throw the 870 Express, Ford Fiesta, Dodge Omni, Chevy S-10, VW Beetle, Lord Calvert Whiskey, and Generic Beer into this same lot. While all will get the job done, they are inexpensive and great for getting where you want to go but not necessarily doing it in style.

The Benelli Nova is of a different class of shotgun. This is one that will probably, even with harsh abuse, last a lifetime. This is like a International Harvester Travelall or Toyota Landcruiser or Jack Daniels, and Wingmasters. Kind of pretty, utilitarian, built for grown-ups and will stand the test of time with some style.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts