Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm struggling with something here. I know this is also personal choice, but I'd like some advice / opinions. I'm trying to decide between the Remington 870 Marine (with magazine extension, making it 6+1 rounds) for $480 and the Benelli Nova (four shots, I think - without mag extension) for $290. What are your opinions about each one? I like the Marine A LOT but, the Benelli had sights, which really appealed to me. I'd like something that's very reliable, and lasts me quite a while - ie, is durable and won't need to be fixed after every few uses (by use I mean general practice at the range, not getting intruders! ;) )
I'd like to buy in the next few days....
Thanks a lot!!
[email protected]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Zip, a couple of questions here:

If the gun is for 'general practice at the range', why would you want to pay the extra for the marine model? The marine (stainless steel) is usually for extensive use around salt water enviorns. For what you want it for, it is a waste of $.

If the guns is again, for (see above), the 6+1 capacity is totally irrevelent and not consistent with yor stated use.

Both guns are fine relaible shotguns. However, if you are leaning to the 870 FOR THE STATED REASONS, there is no need to pay the additional $ for it. Unless you just think they are 'cool' and want to spend $200 on cool--which is OK, it is your $.

There may be other reasons to buy the 870, but, based on what you have said, keep the extra $ and buy the Nova.

Good luck and most of all, have fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I would keep it at home for defense purposes, but I would also use it at the range to be comfortable with it, and of course I do enjoy heading out there every once in a while. So with that additional information, you still suggest the Benelli? One other follow-up question - the Benelli is plastic construction right, so - I know everything has metal and can rust - is it more prone to resisting rusting, on the same level as the Marine?
Thanks very much again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ziphem said:
Thanks for the reply! I would keep it at home for defense purposes, but I would also use it at the range to be comfortable with it, and of course I do enjoy heading out there every once in a while. So with that additional information, you still suggest the Benelli? One other follow-up question - the Benelli is plastic construction right, so - I know everything has metal and can rust - is it more prone to resisting rusting, on the same level as the Marine?
Thanks very much again.
The Nova isn't very prone to rust, it's a pretty tough weapon, but like any other, don't neglect it.

If you are still worried about rust with the Nova, there is a marine version of it. All the parts are nickle-plated. It's called the Nova H2O.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just baught a remington 870 with an extended magazine, i love it to death, but what he is saying is completely true, saving your money is a good thing but also its personal prefrence go with what you want just make sure you want it, i love my 870 i also use it for protection purposes and also take it to the range for me its just wonderful but again its personal prefrence he gave you good information and now you can just go with what you want....sorry im not really any help jsut giving my opinion about the 870 but at the same time i have never even used the nova so yeah.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my last sg purchase came down to the nova or the 870.They were only 10$ difference. I chose the 870. It felt better than the nova. I got home and regretted my purchase. I changed some components, Hogue stock, sgt forend, extended mag tube, and 4 round side saddle. It has since become my favorite.My 500 persuader with a copstock is still fun to work with but the first one on the rack is the 870. I since went back to the gun shop and looked at the nova, but it still feels wrong and uncomfortable for me.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
This is coming from a die hard 870 fan. That Nova appears to be a very good buy. The tactical version comes with an 18" barrel equipped with either rifle sights or LPA ghost rings. The ghost rings don't add much to the cost and are well worth the price. You could save money by not buying the 870 marine magnum, unless you like that silver finish, which by the way is not stainless steel, just a corrosion resistant finsh. If you desire greater capacity in the Nova, there are 2 and 3 shot extensions available.

A Nova tactical with the factory ghost rings and a 3 shot extension is a very economical and practical way to go. If you don't like ghost rings, go with the rifle sights. And the Nova has a 3 1/2" chamber, I believe. So if you really feel like punishing yourself, you can shoot the heaviest 12ga. loads available!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hijack, but I was looking into buying a Nova, also. killerb mentioned an available 3 shot extension. Where did you find that? I've only seen the factory 2 shot extension online and would definitely prefer the 3 shot (mainly because it looks better :p ). I recently qualified with one and really liked it, but the guy that owned it wasn't there to answer questions - like where the heck did you get the 3 shot extension!?
Thanks,
CR

·
Registered
183 Posts
Because the Nova is set up for 3 1/2 inch shells the 2 shot will actually become a 3 shot extention if using smaller shells. I wondered that too and called Benelli. The 2 shot extention DOES come flush with the 18.5" barrel.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I should have mentioned that the Nova, like an 870, is available in a marine version. They share a similar finish, electroless nickel, I think. The 870 is called a "Marine Magnum." It comes with the standard mag tube or with a factory 2 shot extension. The Nova is called the "H2O." As far as I can tell it is only available with rifle sights. Sadly, the LPA ghost rings from the tactical model are not offered on the H2O. A factory magazine extension is offerd by Benelli in a matching finish.

You won't go wrong with either gun. It just seems to me that the Benelli is cheaper and requires almost no modifications. I would save the money on either gun by not going for the marine versions, unless you are in a humid or salt water environment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Caleb said:
Because the Nova is set up for 3 1/2 inch shells the 2 shot will actually become a 3 shot extention if using smaller shells. I wondered that too and called Benelli. The 2 shot extention DOES come flush with the 18.5" barrel.
Oh, okay. That makes sense (we only shoot 2¾" shells anyway). Thanks for the info.
CR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.