Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a slight price difference but besides that what do you think is a better gun? Also what gun would you buy?

Thanks so much for any input!

Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are folks who could go back and forth all day. I was faced with the same choice a month ago. I went with the Nova over a remington express. I think the finish on the Nova is better than the Express. To me it shoulders better (I'm a big guy). I like the center bead and the glo bead at the tip. I like the VERY easy take down and clean. I would dare to say that it can cycle faster than the express (when you pull the trigger it releases the slide and some of the recoil is spent on the action instead of your shoulder... and since the slide is 1/2 way back, now all you have to do is pull it a little farther and slide forward and you're ready to go).
Also, the "Feed Tube Bypass" button is an awesome feature. When crossing a fence, just hold the button, pump to release the chambered round, and slide it forward it again... but there's no round in the chamber now, as it's been bypassed, and you're safe to cross the fence.
I honestly love my Nova. However, a Nova vs a Really good condition older model 870 Wingmaster with checkered stock and gorgeous bluing... that would not be so easy a decision. But you'd pay more for that Wingmaster!

Just my .02

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Well said Oz no one could have explained it better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only weigh in at 155,my height is 5'9".The NOVA fits me fine.My son weighs in at 180,height about 6' 3".Now if you can tell me how to talk him into giving me my NOVA back i'll agree to agree with all you say about fit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
andrew said:
I know there is a slight price difference but besides that what do you think is a better gun? Also what gun would you buy?

Thanks so much for any input!

Andrew
I'll give my opinion... you know, everybody has one! :wink:

If it's a choice between the 870 Express and the Nova, I'd choose the Nova. I've been shooting a Nova for a few years, and I love the gun. It's a tough all weather gun that doesn't rust, pump speed is really fast, and the magazine bypass button is great for crossing fences, etc when you need to unload from the chamber, but not the magazine. Take down for cleaning is a breeze with not a single tool required, and the gun fits me perfect.

Like ozstriker22 said, if it was a choice between a Nova and an older Wingmaster in great shape with all that wood and fantastic blueing staring me in the face, well, gosh the decision just got a lot harder! :)

Either gun will serve you well, and I wouldn't have a problem owning either one, but it seems to me the Nova will stand up to a bit more abuse and require less maintenance than the Express based on my experiences with both shotguns.
Just my humble .02 cents worth of opinion...

Regards,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nova fits great BUT i really dislike the forearm grooves. on an ungloved hand they will eat your skin raw after a box or so. No problem for cold weather duck hunts, but when it starts raining during dove/quail season and i put my o/u in the truck and grab the nova, i know my left hand is gonna hate me later.

everything else about the gun is excellent, tho. However, that flaw was too much for me, so i bought a Browning BPS Magnum Stalker yesterday to replace it. ($75 rebate right now)...found it new for $450.

I only paid $250 new for the Nova, but i see local prices (houston) are around $299 (collectors firearms on richmond).

My father is retiring his mossberg pump, so it was good timing and the nova will have a good home.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I bought 870 Expresses for both my son and I last year because that's what our local gunsmith recommended. We've hunted dove, deer and snow geese with them and they've performed flawlessly.

I don't you'll have trouble with either one, although the magazine cutoff swith on the Nova is nice. The 870 doesn't have that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a nova 12 ga. and really like it! all the features the gun has is great for the price you pay. the 870 may be a little cheaper but it wont put up with the abuse the nova does. if you are choosing to buy one, go with the benelli over the express!!

i dont know what the guesthunter is talking about with the grooves, they dont beat up your had at all, i have shot over 7 boxes and my hand never hurts or bothers me. . . so go with the benelli!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, guesthunter must have some soft hands. Mine never bothers me at all. I like the grip and love the gun

·
Premium Member
19,768 Posts
The "Search" feature is a really nice tool to use to find information on particular items. Since you want information on both the Nova AND the Rem 870, I did a search for posts containing BOTH those words "Nova 870" and came up with 69 separate threads that match my search criteria. You might try the same thing. It's quite possible that someone else wanted to know the same info and others may have answered the question in great detail before. Good luck. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Andrew, just got my Nova 12 ga. last week and like it allot, retired my wingmaster not that it did'nt serve me well but the features on the nova are great, go with the Benelli, trust me you'll love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very well put ozstriker. :)

My first shotgun was the Nova. Love it. Only issue was with the Feed Tube Bypass. A couple friends would inadvertently engage it when pumping. I never had the problem. I didn't mind it, I didn't have to worry about them wanting to shoot it. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cannot coment on the 870, I never had one. The Nova was my first, and I have shot at least 3000 rounds of trap with it. I would buy another one without hesitation.
If you put the recoil reducer in it, it is much softer to shoot and is balanced better. The trigger group pulls out in one piece for cleaning, with no tools needed.( it was not that dirty even after 2000 rounds) and if I can do it, anyone can. Good luck on your decision

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
870 hands down. But I am biased and admit it. The nova is a good gun also but I can keep replacement parts on hand for the 870 (just in case) for a small price. If something does break I can fix it myself blindfolded. The Remington guns fit me without any mods. to the stock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I too have shot both! If your choice is between the Nova and an Express, If the Nova feels O.K. go with that. If your thinking of buying an 870 Wingmaster, Whole different ball game. Go with the Wingmaster, It will probably long outlive you, and perform flawlessley forever! just my 2 cents!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since I have a 870 Marine Magnum and 2 Nova's (12 & 20)----all 3 have factory magazine extentions---I guess I couldn't choose---it's all good I guess.

I'm becoming a shotgun nut again---the current inventory includes in addition to those listed above:

Ruger Red Label 12ga
Baikal SxS 20ga
Beretta 303 20ga
Beretta 391 12ga
Grandpa's old 16ga SxS

And seriously considering a 20ga Red Label.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts