Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a slight price difference but besides that what do you think is a better gun? Also what gun would you buy?

Thanks so much for any input!

Andrew

· Registered
285 Posts
They are both fine guns. The 870 has been around since C was a kid--the Nova is relative new but is from people who have been making guns for 500 (literally) years.

Pick up both, mount each, and ONE will jump out at you and say
"I'm made for you".

Buy that one because YOU like it.

Good luck and let us know which one you picked.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
I've had several 870's, and you just couldn't ask for a better moderately-priced utility shotgun. I'm a fan. However, lately I've been won over to the Benelli camp just a bit by reading about what others have had to say about them here. JMCCOYB is right; it's a subjective decision, and you're the one who will have to pick. I'd walk out of the store with the 870, just because I know and trust them, but others would say the same for Benelli.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not have the 870--but the nova is a great shotgun-
I have been using it for trap shooting for about a year, and after 2500 rounds I find it to be excellent. I have the recoil reducer installed, which does reduce the kick, and also balances the gun perfectly. The entire trigger group pulls out easily for cleaning, with no tools needed except the magazine cap. I have run 25 straight with it shooting trap, and plan to use it for many years.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have both shotguns. I believe the 870 points a little better. However, I have better luck on geese with the Nova since it shoots 3 1/2 and my 870 only shoots 2 3/4.

I can shoot both equally as well on the range (23-24 out of 25).

However, I DO NOT like the safety location on the Nova. It is on the front of the trigger tang whereas the 870 is on the rear. It is much more intuitive for me to use the rear safety.

Just my $.02 worth.

Steve

· Registered
19 Posts
SMcMahon said:
However, I DO NOT like the safety location on the Nova. It is on the front of the trigger tang whereas the 870 is on the rear. It is much more intuitive for me to use the rear safety.

Just my $.02 worth.

Steve
That's the only thing I don't like about my Nova. The safety is annoying. I don't like keeping it with a shell chambered, so it was slowing me down to hit the action release with my index finger, pump the action, and then push the safety with the same fingertip.

A lot of practice speeds it up, but I still would rather have it elsewhere.

Great firearm though. I'm trying to find a recoil reducer and bracket for it, but have had no luck online yet.

· Registered
34 Posts
I'll tell you, the forends on the Benelli do, in fact, rattle quite a bit. It makes it sound cheap. I don't like the feel and look of them, either. But, then again, if I had been using a Benelli my whole life, instead of an 870, I probably won't mind it. But the Nova really does not look natural. I like the 870 because it's been forever, I functions very well, and it has a natural look to it. Also, you can't get the Nova with wood furniture (stock and forend). That's something else to thing about. The 870 Wingmaster is a gun that you brag about owning because you are proud as hell to own such a fine quality American firearm.

I think that's a little more than 2 cents worth, IMO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Pro's:
Been around forever (designed in the 50's to be cheap to build)
Proven, reliable design
Can get wood furniture
Can change stocks
Lots on the used market
Parts are easy to find

Con's:
8 million others have a gun just like yours, it will have plenty of company wherever you go
Can be a bit particular if it's dirty about feeding
Express models like to develop surface rust

Nova

Pro's:
3.5" shell capacity standard on all 12GA models
Modern design
Won't rust
Likes abuse, doesn't show scratches as easily
One of the fastest pumps you can buy
Fieldstrip completely with just the magazine cap, very easy to clean
Eats dirt and keeps working
Magazine disconnect button on forearm
Distinctive looks
Made to accept recoil reducer

Con's:
Distinctive looks
One piece stock, can't change it
Wood not available if that's what you want
Some parts can be expensive (replacement barrels, etc)

870 is a classic, Nova is a tough non rusting fast pumping gun, either one will do the job well.

· Registered
42 Posts
The 870 and the nova are both very good guns. I have an old 870 Wingmaster 20ga. strictly 2 3/4, and a 12ga. Nova. The Nova, even with a long stroke, cycles faster than the 870! When I first got my Nova, I took it skeet shooting and even with a 1:5000 chance of a chip hitting it, one did. :shock: After the initial hystarics, I found a tiny knick on the top of the receiver. If it were my 870 it probably would have had a huge gash out of it. So even if it looks funny, I'd much rather take my Nova when the going gets tough. :wink:

· Registered
285 Posts
Actually, I was speaking of the seemingly inate ability of the Italians in general to make some of the finest shotguns in the world.

Not only now, but going back thru the entire history of firearms (with, perhaps, the exception of John Browning- but that was ONLY 100 years ago) the Italians have been doing it for 500 years. I believe Beretta is 470 years old this year.

If we were to list the BEST (whatever that means) 15 shotguns in current production, I sure that at least half of them would come from Italy.

While Benelli is a young babe as compared to their brother Beretta, for a company so young (30 or so years) they can trace their heritage back to Italians far longer. They make a heck of a shotgun line.

Obviously, I am VERY impressed with anything that goes boom, shoots birdshot and has an Italian accent. However, I also think Remington has done an absolutely SUPERB job on some of their models--while maybe not of the FINEST category they are absolutely workhorses. I think I currently own four Remingtons and expect to add the 1100 Classic 16ga in the future as soon as I can convince the household CFO that it is REALLY needed.

That is just how I feel.

· Premium Member
1,874 Posts
A couple of things to consider:

1. The irritating rattle has apparently been solved on the newer models. I don't know the exact date when the factory took care of it but the new ones are tight.

2. If you plan to shoot high volume, get a Limbsaver pad. Remember, this is a hunting gun and the stock pad is very hard indeed. Also I would pass on the recoil reducer setup; the limbsaver made a huge difference on mine.

Otherwise, follow what has already been said. You can't go wrong with either pick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.