Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Both are very reliable pumps that work great. I wouldn't recommend a beginner shoot skeet with a pump gun but it can be done, just might be a bit discouraging at first. I'm personally partial to the 870 for trap because its the gun I started off with. :) HTH

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with bamf. Both are good guns. I started off using a Remington 870. You should get the one you feel more comfortable with. A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I, too, cut my teeth on a Remington 870, and I like the fit of an 870, with an extension pad on the stock butt.However, there are some issues of which I think a person should be aware.A Remington butt stock has a length of pull of 14 inches. At 14 inches, at the heel, the drop is 2.5 inches and at the comb, the drop is 1.5 inches. Now when I put that slip on recoil pad on a Remington, I extend the length to 14.25, but I, also, create a heel drop exceeding 2.5 inches...to about 2.67 inches. You will increase felt recoil, when you lower the drop at heel. Now, this isn't a complaint...this is what I prefer, and, in fact, have my Beretta adjusted to a 2.6 drop at heel.Just by comparison, the Nova takes a different approach. They still want the field type of stock, but the length of pull is .25 inches longer to 14.25 and it is only dropped to 1.75 inches at the heel...that's a full .50 inch difference between the Nova and the Remington at heel drop, but if you made the Remington 14.25 with a slip on butt pad (making it the same as Nova), you would be talking about a difference of .92, which is almost a full inch. One inch is a big difference in heel drop, as concerns felt recoil...a big difference.I can tell you, just from reading the numbers, that this gun wouldn't fit me very well. HOWEVER, if it fits you, then the felt felt recoil will be less, and the cheek slap will be less....you will feel the difference.There is another issue to consider as concerns recoil. The Nova comes with an optional recoil reducer that appears to be quite easy to install, in the butt stock. Primarily, this recoil reducer is offered on their 3.5 inch guns. However, if you are shooting skeet, and the recoil reducer doesn't bounce the barrel around too much, I would certainly consider such an option.There would be no question that I would, personally, prefer the 870 to the Nova. However, if that Nova butt stock fits you, I would lean towards the Nova, just because it would offer less recoil, because the stock is more in line with the barrel, and because it has a recoil reducer option, which would better facilitate your desire to shoot clays.So called, "Pumper Clubs" are becoming very popular at the local gun club levels, and these people are VERY good skeet shooters....they have always been good at trap. I think they, also, have more fun with shotgun sports. In skeet, you need a perfectly fitting gun, and these field stocks (because they slop a full inch from comb to heel) allow that to happen quite easily by merely adjusting the LOP (length of pull), which drops the cheek down EXACTLY on the same spot, and all of the pumper guys figure this out. You will even see them shave rubber recoil pads to get it just right.I watched a guy, last year, shoot skeet with a 20 *****, Winchester Model 12. The visual is beautiful to observe, but the combination of watching and "hearing" that shell shuck out on the doubles is truly poetry in motion.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Real time consideration is that for singles trap either is fine, but for doubles or skeet for a beginner you are looking at some extra challenge with a pump gun. Something to know about the Nova is that it has a longer range of pull on the down stroke than the 870, so if you have shot others pumps you will be apt to under pull and stove pipe the spent shell untill you get used to the Nova.Novas are plastic stocked guns vs the 870 is available in wood, wood stocks are easier to modify due to the solid surface to attach the add ons to, especially if you need to cut the stock down, there are some items that have become available to help this, but still and all it is easier and less expensive to work with the wood stocks. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

G

·
MykaelT3030 said:
Benelli Nova vs. Remington 870. What would you prefer for a beginner using for mostly skeet/trap?
I had a Remington 870 and i really liked it but when i got the Nova about a week ago i have not touched the 870 because this is the new age and the new age gun is the Nova. It comes with the recoil reducer for those with a soft shoulder and just look at it, it is just a sweet gun. I have both but i am selling the 870 because the Nova does all and more of the 870 so i prefer the Nova over ANY pump shotgun out there!!

G

·
Hi- I have no info for you regarding the Remington 870. I have never shot one. I do have, and have put thousands of trap rounds thru my 12 gauge nova. It is a great shotgun, and for me, it works well for trap shooting. The recoil reducer does work, and also balances the gun better. The trigger group pulls out for cleaning with no tools other than the magazine cap.
As has been stated, the fit of any particular gun, to an individual shooter, can be much different. The Nova was a little short for me, but a slip on recoil pad added 3/4 of an inch, and made a big difference, for me. No one but you can tell if a particular gun fits. It will make a difference. Good luck with your choice!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Remington 870 is to Benelli Nova as Coca-Cola Classic is to New Coke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depending on how old the beginner is I would go with the youth remington 870, it will last them as long as they want it to. I this person is over 16 I would go with the benelli Nova automatic, one of the best guns made today.

G

·
I have both guns. I give each a "A" for quality and would recommend either one in a second. I will give the edge to the Benelli Nova though as it is probably a better gun for all conditions. This is a slight edge because Remington has done 870 magic for years. Now if we switch the topic to autos Benelli hands down. :D

G

·
Got a Brand new Benelli Nova, took it hunting goose on a guided hunt, I had to reach in and pull out every empty shell after shooting during 6 hours of hunting, it would not eject a single round, I even tried changing to 3 inch mags and it was the same, I will never own a benelli again.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
fmsniper said:
Got a Brand new Benelli Nova, took it hunting goose on a guided hunt, I had to reach in and pull out every empty shell after shooting during 6 hours of hunting, it would not eject a single round, I even tried changing to 3 inch mags and it was the same, I will never own a benelli again.
I would be trying to determine why it did not eject before I passed final judgement on this gun.

Is there some minor, repairable problem, is there a piece of debris somewhere in the action preventing it from functioning, what types of shell(s) did this occur with.

Sometimes these things are a result of something else other than a serious flaw with the gun itself. I sold a Rem 870TC trap to a buddy and it kept "stove piping" on him, he thought I was aware of the problem and dumped it on him. I took the gun and ran six pair of doubles through it very rapidly without a hitch.

Then I watched him try the same thing; he had his left hand too far back on the fore end, his fingers blocked the ejector port just enough at the back of the cycle to prevent the fired shell from clearing the port.

The reasons for gun failures can sometimes be very simple, often it is an ammunition problem.

Lest anyone think I am a Nova fan blindly defending this model, the Nova is not at all to my taste and it is very unlikely I would ever purchase one for my own use. I have a preference for 870's that is well documented in some of my other posts.

G

·
Tried everything, no debri, did not stove pipe it just lay in the ejection port, I know what the problem is, the ejector was poorly machined and did not have enough edge on it to hit the shell hard enough, I can fix it but I can not see having to fix a new gun, as well as waisting the 125.00 on the hunt, so I got rid of it and got a stoeger o/u.

G

·
Saw a friends do the same thing. When others tried it, the shotgun worked perfectly. He was short stroking it.
I would pick the Benelli Nova over the 870 any day of the week. For fit, finish, options, durability, the Nova wins hand's down.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
MykaelT3030 said:
Benelli Nova vs. Remington 870. What would you prefer for a beginner using for mostly skeet/trap?
Originally posted on Dec 20, 2003.

Have you purchased something :?: :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have heard that the Nova will fire out of battery with bad results.

I like most any quality manufactured gun, but I'll take an 870 over anything on the market.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just tried out the Nova - I have 2 870's and love them. I am a large frame guy and the Nova seems to actually fits me a bit better. 870's got history on their side but the Nova is damned pretty - kinda like a red head vs a brunette. Every time you pick a Nova up you feel you need to ask the force to be with you.

I do not like safety position on Nova but then I do not like it on 870 either. Even with my xtra long fingers I have to losen grip to rotate hand up to acctuate the Nova while the 870 is much easier. Why did they not copy the Mossburg tang ?

If you have not grown up shooting pumpers then it would be hard to recommend either unless you are willing to spend time and are patient. Auto's are easier to learn to shoot trap with as you have reduced the factors the shooter has to think about (pull-push - pull ) vs pull the trigger. just my .02.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It would seem, fmsniper, that you simply ended up with a defective product. It happens, even with the best manufacturers. I'm sure that if you send the gun to benelli, they would be happy to fix it for you. At least give them the chance to make it right before passing judgement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts