·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in buying a Benelli nova for a few reasons:
1. Its a Benelli
2. 3.5 capable
3. Price
I am a little concerned about possible parts costs seeing how the stock is molded in with the reciever.
I was wondering how the nova performs compared to more traditional shotguns and if anyone that owns on has ever shot rifled slugs from one?

G

·
Don't buy it for competive shooting the gun is for hunting only. It's light so if you plan on shooting a lot it should give you the kick

G

·
Don't buy it for competive shooting the gun is for hunting only. It's light so if you plan on shooting a lot it should give you the kick

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Nova that I purchased around 3 years ago, and have probably ran at least 5,000 rounds through it. The gun has been rock solid reliable, and the only thing I've done to it is replace the bead sight with a Hi-Viz Comp sight. The reason I replaced the factory sight is because it fell off shortly after I purchased the gun (it wasn't screwed on tightly I guess). When I called Benelli-USA, they sent me a new sight (the red bar style instead of the original bead) in less than a week free of charge and no questions asked. Even though I had a new factory sight sent to me, I decided then to go ahead and replace it with a Hi-Viz comp sight.

It will shoot anything I put in it, and fits me like a glove. It's the gun I use for hunting, trap, and sporting clays.

As for the weight and kick, I don't understand I guess people's perception or comments about it being a light gun and kicking too hard. Mine weighs 7.8 lbs (synthetic with 24" barrel), as compared to a Remington 870 Wingmaster Super Magnum which weighs 7.5 lbs with a 28" barrel. It is heavier than even the Benelli M1 Field which weighs in at 7.2 lbs configured like my Nova. The felt recoil seems less to me than my Mossberg 500's or the Charled Daly semi auto I sold recently. I also have shot many other types of shotguns, and I have to say the Nova kicks less than a Win 1300, and seems about par or maybe a bit less than a buddy of mine's 870 Express. It's a bit heavier than the other's mentioned, and seems to absorb the recoil well. If kick is of a concern when firing heavy loads or 3 1/2" loads, then it's all set up for a Benelli mercury recoil reducer that can be installed in the stock of the gun. (see pic)

I think it's one of the quickest pumps out there, and I have no problems keeping up with simo pairs at my local sporting clays range. I can get the second shot off just about as fast as the semi-autos thanks to the smooth "shuck" of the pump action.
To answer your last question, I have not shot slugs through it, as I use a rifle for big game where I live.
If you do need parts in the future, from my experience, Benelli-USA warranty and parts service will treat you right.

Regards,

G

·
I bought the benelli nova tactical and I LOVE IT. It is good for everything, I have used it for hunting, sporting clays and as a tactical entry gun and it has performed flawlessly in all instances, and all weather conditions. I have had mine for only about 6 months and with all the training i have to do for SRT I use it alot. I have shot 2 3/4" bird shot, 2 3/4" 00 buck, 3" 00 buck, 3" #4 buck and 2 3/4" 1oz. rifled slugs and have never had a jam or other malfuction with any of it. And for only around $300 its the best shotgun and most reliable one you will ever buy. :D

G

·
The Benelli Nova is the finest pump shotgun currently being produced-----plastic parts or not.

It fixes all the problems of the old dinosaur designs.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I adore my Nova. It will be my main duck gun with my auto back-up choked for Geese.

Can't beat it's performance, durability or price. Shoots and points like a dream.

Will I buy other pumps? Sure, I'm looking for a '59 model 12 and will probably get a BPW or an Ithaca as heritage guns for my son (he's a lefty).

Once you buy it you'll use it. But it won't stop you from wanting others!

:)

I did have one minor problem out of the box (with a sight) but I fixed it in about 5 minutes after complaining about it for about 2 hours. Go figure - not a very good use of time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is 8 Lbs. light? The gun doesn't kick any harder than any other 8Lb. pump. 3.5s arn't that bad either and I really don't see a need for the mercury recoil reducer. It just makes it a 9 Lb. pump. Great reliable gun.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Go for it! Nova's are awsome guns.

·
Registered
893 Posts
As I recall, the Nova and the 835 are in the same weight range, but I find the Nova to be slightly muzzle-heavy, which seems to make it lighter in the hands than the 835. I don't have anything against the 835, but I feel that the Nova is the better value in this type of shotgun, and IMO it's probably the best dollar value of any new shotgun on the market.

JW

G

·
I just bought a Nova and it is a great gun. I recently shot slugs through it without a rifled barrel and it is perfectly on without a scope. It is just an all around good gun. The 2 3/4 slugs kick pretty hard but nothing you can't handle.

G

·
I own 7 different shotguns including the Nova...

I have run about 500 rounds through it and it is by far the most solid built, reliable shotgun I own...

It does kick pretty hard when shooting 3.5 loads but it's versatility and toughness far outweigh the shoulder kiss...

I use it over all of my other shotguns except when shooting clays...

I also recommend the mercury recoil reducer not for just a little extra cushion but for overall balance of the Nova...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn't part with my Nova for anything. It's an awesome "duck and goose, drop it in the mud, drag it through the rain, clean it off and watch it work again tommorrow" kind of gun. Plastic? So what. Ugly? Maybe to someone else. Reliable? Without a doubt. Despite what some in this forum may say, I know that I can rely on my Nova and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm relatively new to hunting, but I love my Nova. I started with an old Mossberg and when it wore out I bought a new Winchester 1300, but it had problems ejecting. I was too impatient to send it back to get it fixed, so I traded it in for the Nova. Man, I'm wondering why I even bothered with the Winchester in the first place! It's a great gun. It's stylings are an acquired taste, but who cares? It gets the job done. I've used it successfully for clays, pheasant, turkey, deer and water fowl.

The Nova is also super easy to take down and clean.

I spent a little extra and got the camo. Glad I did.

G

·
Do u need a slug barrel to shoot slugs outta the nova or do i need to buy one if i have to buy one how much do they run for?How does the nova compare to the rem 870 3.5???ANY suggestions?

G

·
Hey..Im back i am still interrested in the nova would u recomend the shorter barrel or longer or just buy an 870 3.5 which is better nova....870 u tell me w/ reasons..Thankz :lol:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hunterboy said:
Hey..Im back i am still interrested in the nova would u recomend the shorter barrel or longer or just buy an 870 3.5 which is better nova....870 u tell me w/ reasons..Thankz :lol:
Haha..this one has been beat to death...but I'll say it again....

I wouldn't buy an 870 supermag. Lots of friends....with lots of problems.

The older 870s were better guns (80s and earlier), only available in 3".

I love my Nova. I bought the 28" as I like a longer barrel. Barrel length with the capabilities of model shells is really just a matter of opinion. If you are shooting steel though, you will lose about 100fps from the factory listed speed per inch your barrel is under 30". Meaning that, since I shoot a 28", my speeds are usually about 200fps slower than what is on the box. Just my experience from testing different stuff.

As far as slugs go, I have a bolt action slug gun with a scope. I shoots just like a rifle. Its made for handling a lot of recoil, and is fully rifled. You can shoot slugs out of an IC choke, but they will typically not be as accurate as those saboted slugs shot from a fully rifled bore.

Just remember, buy rifled slugs for a smooth bore, and saboted slugs for a rifled bore!!!!! Think opposites!

Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hunterboy,
I've had my Benelli Nova (26" barrel) for two years now. The Nova works flawlessly and it does fine bringing in the ducks. Gotta love the Hevi Shot Nitro magnum 3 and 1/2" loads. It does need a small "break in" period. It's incredibly durable and very reliable. I'm very happy with it.
Get one and go get 'em.
Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have owned my Nova for 3 years and just haven't been able to fall in love with it. It has a very sloppy action, a horrible trigger, and seems to be barrel heavy. I would try to find a used 28" BPS.They are very smooth and tight, have a crisp trigger, and point great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
After much research, I opted to purchase the Benelli Nova Tactical. Felt great and the pump mechanism appeared to be short and smooth. Being a "leftie", I had a little problem with the slide release though. I can't wait to pick it up. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts