·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Yes, a left-handed shooter. It has what is known as "cast on."

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Rollin! I was hoping that you would answer this. I respect your opinion and your knowledge!
It really is funny that I got a pm from someone on this forum that told me he was a stock fitter and it would be for a right handed shooter....LOL!

I saw this gun on Gunbroker and asked the seller (Gun store) this same question...he said that it was for a right hand shooter.
I now wonder if the seller saw this post and sent me a the pm????

I am a right handed shooter so I will not be buying this gun.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
That stock shows cast off and would in normal situations be for a right hand shooter and not for a left hander. Cast off is moving the stock centerline away from the face side of a right hand shooting. Cast on is moving it towards the face of a right hand shooter. That stock has cast off.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Looks like cast off to me too, but I'd guess it started life as a LH stock. Any chance of top & bottom pics taken from the muzzle end.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
LBT45,

Now you have two opinions. (One of them is correct.)

Customstox: Chic, are you sure?

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Without seeing the rib in the picture, it's kind of a crap shoot as far as determining cast. The picture you provide, shows me a stock that is curved in a strange manner that could be for a right hand shooter. Cast on or cast off can only be determined by comparing the left/right position of the centerline of the butt with the centerline of the barrels.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with Chic. Looking at the picture it appears as if the stock has a roll over comb built in with a dished out area in the face of the cheekpiece(thus the cast on appearance of the butt to comb). The angel of the camera to the orientation of the rib is slightly off center. It gives a" false" view of the buttstock alignment to the centerline.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Rollin Oswald said:
LBT45,

Now you have two opinions. (One of them is correct.)

Customstox: Chic, are you sure?
Rollin, there is no doubt in my mind. If you project a line from the ramp of the rib through the tang, it is obvious that the stock is to the right of that line. That makes it cast off. The term does not change if you are left handed, it is based on a right hand shooter.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi All:

As I see this stock, it is bent to the LEFT!

How can we look at the same thing and have two different opinions as to which way the stock is bent?

For many years, I was taught that a stock that has been bent to the right has CAST OFF and bent to the left has CAST ON!

I have a gun that has 1/2' bend to the right and it was bent for a right handed shooter. He called it cast off.

I must google cast off stocks.

Let's hear from other people! lol

Good luck,

Leomat

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree with Riflemeister about seeing a better picture in relation to the bore.

But from that picture, drawing a mental line down the rib to the butt, it looks like it had too much cast for the original owner, who had it bent to an overall neutral, final position, but only bent the last few inches.

But I am no expert and I am interested to see what others with more experience have to say on this.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
leomat, project a line thru the center of the rib ramp down thru the center of the tang and see where that lies in regards to the stock. I see that line lying to the right of the line down the center of the comb (top of the stock).

I alao agree with DES that it appears that someone may have sanded or filed the left side of the stock away to create some space but the right side does not look neutral to me.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Leomat,

We hold the minority opinion. Like you I believe the stock has cast on at the heel and probably at the toe as well.

Yes, it is a slightly odd comb shape.

Chic - It makes sense that if wood had been removed from the left side of the comb, it would have been done for a right-handed shooter.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi Chick:

I visulize a line coming through the rib in a straight line to the end of the recoil pad that would be th centre line of the gun or the long axis. The stock appears to me to be bent to the left of that line, thus creating what I call cast on.

Is this what you see?

Thanks for your input,

Leomat

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Well it certainly didn't leave the factory like that.

I did the same as Chic by projecting a line back, and that line line appears to pass the pad on the left, making it cast off.

The only way to be certain is with pics taken from the muzzles.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi All:

If the centre line of the gun is passing through the butt stock on the left side of the recoil pad, then I have a severe vision problem! This problem is called visual discrimination deficit. In this case, mine is 180 degrees from the norm. lol

All I need is another learning disability! lol

Now I understand why I have a problem hitting flying objects! I must be leading them too far to the rear.

Good shooting,

Leomat

·
1,204 Posts
...from what little can be seen of the rib, it looks like it has been bent for extreme cast off and then had its comb dished....if I'm correctly seeing the blurry impression of the sight plane, this seems to have been altered for a right hand shooter with a left master eye.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.