Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,I'm in the process of selecting a shotgun and I'm trying to decide between a Beretta 390 and a Benelli Nova. This is my first shotgun purchase and I'm impressed with the quality and value of both of these guns. I'd like to hear the advice and input of board members. Thanks,Steve Toigo

G

·
both guns are top of the line in there own right, so depending on need and budget, either will serve your purposes well!If the 3.5" is needed well we now who wins!If ducks or geese are not in the picture I would say go for the auto, but you will not reget buying either one.RON KONTOWSKYACTIONS BY R.A.K.DEANS GUNSHOP II

G

·
I also say both guns are very nice. But I've had a Benelli Nova for about a year now and it has never failed me once. It's fallen in the dirt, rocks, and water. It's been to H*ll and back you could say, and still working. It also is very well balanced and light weight. So I would go with the Nova

·
Premium Member
19,750 Posts
Since you are wanting "opinions", I'll offer mine. I would say go for the 390 Beretta even if ducks and geese ARE in the picture. Heck, man, it doesn't take a 3.5" magnum to kill a duck or a goose. The 390 will shoot any 3" shell you want plus most 2 3/4" shells with nothing to change or adjust. With the Hevi Shot and other modern loads, there is no reason, IMO, to even consider a 3.5" magnum gun. Remember, this is my OPINION. You may have a different opinion about it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I agree with Uly. There is only ONE reason I'd want three and a half inches. Pass-shot geese that were WAY out there. Whether I have any business attempting such long shots is another matter entirely.

It's also nice if you're big into steel shot (ie if you've put a lot of money into steel shot reloading and already are well into the 3.5" game, having reloaders set up, a good quantity of steel on hand). Else, Uly's right, 3 inches is a helluva whallop when properly loaded with Hevishot.

However, the Benelli doesn't have to have 3.5" shells on it's feature list to be a great shotgun. I have to say I think pumps are better field pieces than semiautos. Today's semi's are nice and darn reliable. I'd actually hesitate to shoot any gun 'dropped in the mud', so to me this isn't a factor. However, heavy loads just seem to gunk up the works, and while the 390 will take some abuse in this matter, I feel a pump's more reliable. Especially if you're going to spend a few days in camp while hunting. In this situation, I'd NEVER want to have a semi. Double or pump, thank you. Frankly if I'd not dropped my pump or gotten it wet, I wouldn't clean it until I was home and could make a proper go of it. A semi I'd be tempted to clean daily.

Probably either would last me as long as any woods trip I could tolerate, but my preference in the field is still a pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts