Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a new field gun. It will be used primarily for dove and waterfowl hunting. I have been leaning toward the Beretta Extrema which runs about $1,000 new, but the 390 can be had for just over $500 at Walmart. The upside to the Extrema is the 3 1/2 inch chamber vs. 3" for the 390 which only be a factor for goose loads. Any experiences with either gun would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
Unless you are dead set on getting a 3.5" magnum, I would recommend buying the 390 and spending the extra $500 on ammo, hunting trips, or whatever.

I currently own two 390's and know numerous other people who own them. They are fine guns. The Extrema is a fine gun too, but I would prefer to have and use the 390.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Both are very good models. There are more differences between the two than price and chamber length. The Xtrema is a bigger and heavier gun. The Xtrema is way easier to clean. The Xtrema hold five rounds total and more with a magazine extension. The 390 holds four and can not take an extension. Both have automatic magazine cutoff's and cartridge release buttons. The Xtrema has the bolt lock back feature over the 390 (Wal Mart model).

The Xtrema does a good job at cycling lighter loads but, 3" models are usually better guns for all around use. I like 3 1/2" models for a dedicated waterfowl or turkey gun.

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
Worc said:
Both are very good models. There are more differences between the two than price and chamber length. The Xtrema is a bigger and heavier gun. The Xtrema is way easier to clean. The Xtrema hold five rounds total and more with a magazine extension. The 390 holds four and can not take an extension. Both have automatic magazine cutoff's and cartridge release buttons. The Xtrema has the bolt lock back feature over the 390 (Wal Mart model).

The Xtrema does a good job at cycling lighter loads but, 3" models are usually better guns for all around use. I like 3 1/2" models for a dedicated waterfowl or turkey gun.
If we are talking about a gun for dove or waterfowl shooting, then it's irrelevant whether the gun holds four or five or six rounds since all have to be plugged to a maximum of 3-shot capacity. As for cleaning, I haven't cleaned an Extrema, but the 390 is extremely simple to clean, so that shouldn't be a factor either, IMO.

I will agree that if someone wants the gun ONLY for waterfowl, the Extrema might be a better choice...... but then again it might NOT be. It's quite common for someone to buy a gun for waterfowl shooting and then take it to the clays range and be disappointed when it won't handle the target loads. Also, for dove hunting (which LongShank said he would be doing), a 3.5" magnum is totally unnecessary. Many people hunt doves with a 28 gauge and 3/4 ounce of shot.

I just think that the best overall gun for his uses would be a 390 which will easily handle the lightest target load up to and including the hottest 3" magnum. If you can't bring 'em down with a 3" magnum and a well placed shot, then a bigger gun is not the answer to the problem. More shooting practice is the answer. :D

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I have a 390 and think it is a great gun. I don't see me shooting 3.5" Magnums at anything, I shot a friends 3.5 Mag and it recoils way more than I want to put up with. For the few times I go waterfowl hunting the 3" Mags work fine.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
If we are talking about a gun for dove or waterfowl shooting, then it's irrelevant whether the gun holds four or five or six rounds since all have to be plugged to a maximum of 3-shot capacity. As for cleaning, I haven't cleaned an Extrema, but the 390 is extremely simple to clean, so that shouldn't be a factor either, IMO.
Just pointing out the differences between the two models. Not all waterfowling in the US has a three shot limit. Spring Snow Goose hunting is an exception. Most guys in this case add extentions to add shell capacity, even with semi's. Some dove hunting is also fast and furious (Similar to crow hunting at times) so the extra shell is an added benefit.
The 390 is not all that hard to clean. It's nowhere near as easy to clean than the Xtrema's. The farther you tear them down the bigger the margin in favor for the Xtrema.

I will agree that if someone wants the gun ONLY for waterfowl, the Extrema might be a better choice...... but then again it might NOT be. It's quite common for someone to buy a gun for waterfowl shooting and then take it to the clays range and be disappointed when it won't handle the target loads. Also, for dove hunting (which LongShank said he would be doing), a 3.5" magnum is totally unnecessary. Many people hunt doves with a 28 gauge and 3/4 ounce of shot.
I never recommended a 3 1/2" model for his intended uses. I did state a 3" model was better suited in most cases for all around use even though the Xtrema's do a good job at cycling the lighter loads. I only stated that I like 3 1/2" models for a dedicated waterfowl gun.

I just think that the best overall gun for his uses would be a 390 which will easily handle the lightest target load up to and including the hottest 3" magnum. If you can't bring 'em down with a 3" magnum and a well placed shot, then a bigger gun is not the answer to the problem. More shooting practice is the answer.
I agree for doves but not necessarily for geese or even late season ducks. A 3" gun is fine, but I'll take the advantage of the 3 1/2" gun for waterfowling.

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
Some dove hunting is also fast and furious (Similar to crow hunting at times) so the extra shell is an added benefit.
Are you saying that some areas don't require a gun be plugged to a max of 3-shots for dove hunting? I thought that was a Federal law.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Three in the US for doves unless some state/s have a depredation law that lifts some of the bans. That is how the Spring Snow Goose season got the Federal three shot ban lifted so you can use extensions on semi auto's.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have both models. I have found that I'm using the Xtrema 2 more and more for everything from clays to geese/turkey and soon, even deer.
I like the kick-off feature especially when shooting the heavier loads.
The key selling point to me was the fact that the Xtrema is made to handle the 3.5" loads and make them a bit more acceptable. If they're made to tame those loads, think what they'll do for a 3" load?
As for clays shooting, I'm still a rank beginner. I thought 'good' for me was shooting 60 - 65. Since I started shooting the Xtrema2 I've raised my averages to the 70's and even shot an 86 !!! :D I've let others shoot my Xtrema2 at the range and all feel that the kick-off has done a very good job at reducing the recoil. In fact, one guy asked when will Beretta include this on one of it's sporting guns.
This gun just fits me well and feels good. I've shot everything from 1 oz target loads (I did shoot some 7/8 oz loads but it doesn't really like them too much ) up to slug loads.
bottom line is to try them both. Close your eyes and shoulder them both. See which one fits the best off the shelf and go with that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts