Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just turned 18 and am looking to buy my first shotgun for myself. i have an old mossberg 500 20 ga pump i got when i was in 8th grade. i'm looking at the beretta 3901 american citizen and the remington spr453 autoloader. the beretta is about 250 more and is chambered for 3 inch shells. i usually only hunt small to medium game such as squirrel, quail, dove, duck and sometimes geese. The remington however is chambered for 3 1/2 inch. I'm buying this as a long term investment and I dont know if i will ever need 3 1/2 inch shells, but you never know. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm making the assumption here that both guns fit your budget. Saying that, if one fits you better than the other, that would be my first choice, except for the fact that I think you'd be better off with the Beretta rather than the SPR.
Reason being is that the 3901 is a tried and true model. It is a 'modernized' version of the venerable Beretta 390. Main difference that I've noticed is the rounded receiver on the 3901.
The 390/3901 has been used by some seriously competitive shooters since about 1991 or so with rarely a hitch. And since many of the really serious trap, skeet and sporting clays shooters will shoot literally 10's of thousands of rounds through a gun and this model has survived that, I'd lean towards the 3901. Any gun that can digest 10,000 rounds a year will do for someone that may not shoot that many shells in their lifetime.
Since your primary uses will be for small game hunting, it should last until your Grandkids are ready for kids.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks. and what do you think i should sell my mossberg for. i think a new one goes for about 400. ive had it for 4 years or so. my budget really depends on the price i sell it for. the 3901 goes for 750, and the remington goes for about 5.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i own both guns, the 390 wal-mart and the spr453. if you dont need 3 1/2 inch shell capacity buy the beretta. My 390 runs and runs and runs and runs and runs. Dirty or clean target loads, nitros, heavy game loads i literally mean any shell it can chamber it will shoot and cycle well. the spr is is a good gun but its picky about light loads and is very temperemental when it gets a little dirty in my experience. i am not flaming the spr453 i like it but if you have the means get the beretta, its a better choice for a 1 gun guy. the spr may get better as i break it in but i only have about 2000 shells through it. my 390 is over 8000(conservative estimate) shells fired and cant remember a single jam or misfire that was the guns fault. if you have a need for the 3 1/2 capacity the spr is not a bad choice, just get a big jug of breakfree to clean it with.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Welcome to SGW. I agree with the other in that the 3" models is a better choice for allaround use. It'll not only cycle lighter loads better but the 3901 is quite a bit lighter in weight than the spr453. The spr453 seems to get pretty good reviews by their owners and would be fine for a budget waterfowling model.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Canvasback

Save your money and bank on some patience, as you can pick up a good used 390 on Gunbroker.com for around $500 give or take...

28 inch black synthetic models are very common on the used market and they can give the Everready Battery Bunny a run for it's money as they seem to last forever and ever.

Remember, the search is the best part of the process.

Best Regards.

Joe

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
canvasback18 said:
what do you think i should sell my mossberg for. i think a new one goes for about 400.
Unless you've got extra barrels or something, they don't cost that much. We sell them for $250 brand new. On trade in, someone might get $125-$150 for it. In a private transaction, I'd try to sell it for $150-$175.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts