Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone offer a neutral cast shims for the Beretta 391? My son and I share a 391 that we use for a back up when shooting sporting clays. He shoots left handed and I shoot right.

thanks,
Michael Plaxco

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I haven't heard of any neutral shims. Get two of the same drop. Put one on right handed and one left-handed. That should give you a straight comb, but I'm not sure either one of you will shoot it as well as you would if it were cast properly.
Dave

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I think that you could get the shim close to neutral just by thinning it with a little sand paper or adding a couple of flat toothpicks or several cut stips of plastic playing cards to the thin side. You could also leave the cast off or DX shim in and take some wood off of the right side of the stock below the comb for your son.

Before you do that, check to make sure where the gun shoots for you.

I think that I would go with either the toothpicks or the cut cards as it is low tech and is easy to reverse. Addin thes in to bringthe cast to neutral can be done by just backing of the nut enough to slip the toothpicks or cards in to the thin side of the shim.

good luck!

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Dave Holmes said:
Get two of the same drop. Put one on right handed and one left-handed.
Wouldn't that double the drop? (Actually wouldn't double it, but it would increase it due to double the amount of drop built into the shim.) Maybe you could use two shims with less drop than needed.

But then the plate inside the stock wouldn't match the shims. For zero cast, the plate needs to have the hole in the center (side-to-side). I don't know, but I have heard that if you use a plate that doesn't match the shims, it sets up stresses that could crack the stock.

My vote is for talking to Jim Bellegarde or Rich Cole.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Seamus,
I didn't think that one out very well. You're right on the drop. One would have to play around with the combinations to keep it the same. I think the left-right issue would work out as the second shim would be above the wood cut out in the stock and allow the movement. I've double shimmed before while fitting. It doesn't quite come out double, due to the constraints of the hole for the recoil spring tube, but it does increase the dimension. Perhaps the most effective would be to leave the right handed shim in and thin the stock for the left hander if it has to be done on one stock. While I understand the reasoning to get it done with one gun, the practicality is suspect. A dab of epoxy on the thin side of the shim cut down to match the thickness of the other side would provide a permanent option.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.