Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to shot guns. My brother let me use his 391 for about 5 years. I shot some dove and duck with along with some sporting clays. I tried to buy the gun from him for 750.00 but he wants to keep it which I understand. Prior to that I was shooting an old A5. I did have a Beretta A 400 for a while but sold it. It was ok but not worth the price tag. I have a Beretta Onyx Pro that I enjoy for sporting clays. I am looking for something to shoot dove mostly, some sporting clays and a few duck trips. Should I look at a newer gun or pay the 750.00 to 1000.00 for a nice 391?

·
Registered
676 Posts
391!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
391, but it took two men and a boy to remove the trigger group on my two 20s.

The reason I liked the 391 20s was the size and shape of the forend....it felt much like an O/U in the hand, to me, and a 24" barrel was available.
Either of which may or may not be an interest for you.

·
Registered
28,056 Posts
I am looking for something to shoot dove mostly, some sporting clays and a few duck trips. Should I look at a newer gun or pay the 750.00 to 1000.00 for a nice 391?
That's up to you, but there are many, many good choices to shoot doves, far too many to completely list. I've used Browning Double Autos, B-80's, A-5's, Beretta 303's, Fabarm L4S models, to have a an enjoyable day on the dove field, and even a couple of old Browning Golds as well.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Not to get into another thread on which shotgun is better, but I've got a couple of 390's and they are great shotguns as well.

The newer A300 is nice too - similar to the 390/391, but not as nice wood, and a parkerized barrel. I shoot clays with a guy who shoots one, he must have 8,000+ rounds on it with no issues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So I am new to shot guns. My brother let me use his 391 for about 5 years. I shot some dove and duck with along with some sporting clays. I tried to buy the gun from him for 750.00 but he wants to keep it which I understand. Prior to that I was shooting an old A5. I did have a Beretta A 400 for a while but sold it. It was ok but not worth the price tag. I have a Beretta Onyx Pro that I enjoy for sporting clays. I am looking for something to shoot dove mostly, some sporting clays and a few duck trips. Should I look at a newer gun or pay the 750.00 to 1000.00 for a nice 391?
Personally, I like double barreled guns. I would first use the Beretta Onyx you have unless it is very heavy. I use a 20 g OU and enjoy having the option of two chokes. I do not miss the third shot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the Fabarm L4-s Initial Hunter and am very pleased with it. The one I bought had been fit for another gentleman of about my stature and fit me very well. My primary use is pheasant, so light weight is important as it's a lot of walking. This is my first semi-automatic shotgun and it really does shoot soft and I really do like that 3rd shot.

At this price point, there are lots of good shotguns.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I would get the 391 over the Fabarm...have mucho confidence in the 391...if it were my money involved, that is...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Take a 391 apart and look at how it is made, then do the same with the Fabam gun. You will see why the Fabarm is a much better made gun. I owned a 391 that I shot probably 15k rounds through. No big problems and I shot it well, custom wood. If I were buying a new SA it would be one of the Fabarm guns. Someone said the 391 might be the best SA ever. I must assume they have not really looked into the Fabarm guns. Like night and day.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Between the two I'd pick the Fabarm.

A gun which is currently being manufactured, has good support, a 5 year warranty, and made by a reputable company, is far better then a gun that has been discontinued for 10 years, is facing eventual parts shortages, and has rising prices because people confuse scarcity with value. Plus trying to find a 391 that hasn't been shot to pieces, or otherwise abused is a hassle all its own.

The Fabarm warranty is 5 years for the original owner. If you bought one today, the 391 would have been out of production 15 years by the time your Fabarm warranty finally ended.

I still shoot my 391 occasionally to knock the dust off of it, but it's not my primary anymore, and it's unlikely it will ever return to that status.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Buy a used 391. It was arguably the best auto ever made.
Hard to beat, real hard..I had 4 of them. You might want to install a new recoil spring and give it a good cleaning initially, including pulling the trigger group. Keep gas system dry and use your favorite lube on the action. It's a great gas auto.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Take a 391 apart and look at how it is made, then do the same with the Fabam gun. You will see why the Fabarm is a much better made gun. I owned a 391 that I shot probably 15k rounds through. No big problems and I shot it well, custom wood. If I were buying a new SA it would be one of the Fabarm guns. Someone said the 391 might be the best SA ever. I must assume they have not really looked into the Fabarm guns. Like night and day.
I have high praise for the 391's but I never shot one right from the factory but had mine all worked on but they would really hum. Speaking of humming, that Fabarm L4S Sporting will nose the 391 out at the line by a length. Been there and done that and not promoting Fabarm at all, just reality. The Beretta chokes are good but Fabarm is better and it goes on from there.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I own multiple 303’s/390’s/391’s…and consider them the gold standard in autoloading shotguns…

So, if fabarm is so much better, why have they not taken over the market from Beretta…?

Maybe…they aren’t as good as fabarm owners wish they were…

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I own multiple 303’s/390’s/391’s…and consider them the gold standard in autoloading shotguns…

So, if fabarm is so much better, why have they not taken over the market from Beretta…?

One reason is that you can buy a Beretta on just about every street corner. Their marketing and sales availability is light years ahead of Fabarm/ CG. There have been numerous posts over time stating that someone would like to see/handle/shoot a Fabarm gun, but they can’t find one. Many/most are unwilling to buy a gun sight unseen and I can’t blame them.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts

Obviously you like the Beretta 300 series and so do I as I also had all of them at one time and no complaints. Fabarm marketing is not good, I never see a L4S Sporting on the sporting course whether it's practice or a NSCA event or charity or corporate shoot. Once in awhile I see a XLR5 but even that's rare. I take it you have owned one or the other over time and no longer have them. Each to their own as the saying goes. Good shooting with those Berettas, they have earned their reputation over the years, including the A400 Excel Sporting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts