Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 391 is due a bit of an overhaul I want to change the recoil spring.Is this done by removing the recoil spring cap,that is to say the threaded cap that the stock bolt nut screws onto?If so is the nut you undo part of the cap? I have read the posts about heating the area up to loosen the Loctite.
In passing I have recently changed the cartridge carrier to overcome the 'failure to feed second cartridge' problem that is covered in some length in this forum.Why this fault occurs after several thousand rounds have been put through the gun I can't figure.The problem is comparatively rare in the UK but we don't have as many semi-auto users as the US.We don't have a Cole Gun equivalent so the parts have to be bought from our importer GMK.Cost for the cartridge carrier $63 and for the rivet that holds the carrier lever on $8.75!
Thanks in anticipation. : :B3

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
There is a good parts diagram on Cole's web site. http://www.colegun.com/product_details. ... uExp=Parts Click on the thumbnail diagram to get a bigger one.

Look at part #14, recoil spring cap. It screws into part#11 stock bolt tube, and the shim, lockwasher and nut (parts 15, 16, 17) screw onto the cap.

Remove the stock and leave the nut off. Stick a nail or stiff wire through the holes in the sides of the tube to keep the spring from shooting out when the cap comes off. I don't remember what kind of wrench you need to screw the cap off, but it is nothing special. Mine did not have any Loc-tite on it and did not need heating, but apparently most of them do. Somebody else will have to tell you what source of heat works well.

When you get the cap off, block the end of the tube while pulling the nail (wire?) out to release the spring. Put the new spring in the same way - force it into the tube and use the nail to hold it until you get the cap on.

I don't understand it either, but a lot of the bad carriers show up only after some thousands of rounds have been shot with no problem. Ah, sweet mysteries of life......

With your parts costs being that high, can you save by ordering from Cole and paying the freight, or would tariffs add too much to the total cost?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Seamus.I have bought from Cole in the past and they have an excellent service but recent changes to our import tariffs make cost comparisons marginal and if you mention gunparts it is assumed you are stocking up for a military coup.
:B3

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Hold a towel or rag over the end of the tube so when the spring comes out you can grap it with the towel/rag. They are usually pretty nasty and have black greese on them that will stain anything it touches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts