Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RandyWakeman said:
You mentioned that you already have a 391 and it is "kind of awkward to shoot." How so?
The rib on my 391 sinks down below the receiver and I don't get a good site picture. On the Benelli the rib is raised. I can see down it better.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
Both are very good models. Neither is really better or more reliable than the other. The AL391 is far more popular especially for target shooters. They both can go longer periods between cleaning with the M2 having the edge. The M2 is far easier to clean. The AL391 is much better at cycling lighter loads. Weight wise they are close with the M2 being a little lighter. They both have a similar stock heavy balance point. They each have shims to adjust their stocks and have automatic magazine cutoff's. The AL391 has the additional feature of the bolt lock lever on the left side of the receiver and the M2 has the soft comb that can be replaced.

If your AL391 feels kind of akward you may want to try to play with the shims some. It won't cange the rib height but, may make the gun feel less akward.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Whoa There, Takdriver! Welcome to Shotgun World.

I hate to say this, but by your description, it sounds like you need more comb height on that 391 rather than a new gun. It is almost impossible to get consistent shooting if your eye is below the rib, because you will be lifting your head when you shoot. Check the stock shims and replace them with the next lower number.

A visit to a gun fitter and a shooting instructor may be a more economical solution.

On the gun choice, I agree with Worc he really knows his stuff. I have a 390 and a 391 and they get a lot of use. I favor the Beretta over the Benelli over the cycling soft loads and on recoil. The 391 is softer shooting.

·
Registered
28,825 Posts
I'm not sure what shim set you have in your 391: 60mm is typical. Using a 55mm or 50mm shim set will give you less drop, which it seems is what you want. If you mount your gun and you can't see the bead at all-- that's too much drop.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If it's a hunting gun you want, get the M2. I'm no fan of the 391, and I know most people on this site like the beretta. Clays gun I would reluctantly pick the beretta. The beretta is a finicky beast, and many people shoot them well, but it is hard to argue the faccccccccctttttttt that a benelli will go longer periods and more shots between cleanings. And when it is time to clean them the M2 is an easier model to clean. JMO.. :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
:D
Hi Tac,

I have owned and tested many of the guns you are considering. I started with the Beretta 390 and then a 391.

I then tried a Benelli SBE II, and the Ultra Light and a M2. I bought ALL of the combs and recoil pads and I know how to use the shims as I do a lot of gunsmith work and am a FFL dealer. I just couldn't make the Benelli guns work as well for me as the Beretta so I have gone back to a 391.

One of the main differences is the Benelli has a longer reach from the pistol grip to the trigger and it doesn't fit my hand. Check that at a store or with a friends gun, I think the pistol grip is set farther back on the stock of the Benelli also. I have owned and tried so many guns that little things start to become important to me. It's a comfort and ease of shooting dimension of shotgunning for me.

I wouldn't worry about the cleaning aspect, you only have to clean a 391 1 or 2 times a year. Whether you can hit the target easily with your chosen gun is the thing to strive for, I think.

Here's an idea you might want to investigate. I have a Burris Speed Bead red dot on my 391. It mounts very low on the receiver and is super fast to shoot with. Take a look at the Burris site to see how the mount fits between the stock and receiver.

I think the Benelli is a fine gun and it's record in harsh conditions is great. I just can't get it to work for me, maybe you can, many others just love them. I really like their higher rib, if the rest of the gun had fit me I probably would have kept shooting the Benelli.

The folks that advised you to check out your stock shim are right. Try a shim that will raise the rear of the stock, that will bring up the comb so you can't get low enough to not be looking down the rib.

Good luck figuring this out, as you can tell it took me many tries.

Peacore

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Take a roll of duct tape and some sissors with you. You may still need to add a couple of strips of card board to the very top of the comb to raise enough to see the rib and bead. You should see some rib and the bead and not just the back of the receiver.

good luck and let us know what you find works.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took your advise and changed the shims in the 391 to a 50 DX for a right handed shooter and now it fits like a glove! Now I'm able to see over the receiver. Took it out on the trap range and shot a 22 right off the bat. (for me that's good) LOL :mrgreen: I'm so glad I didn't sell it. Thanks guys.

You guys are more than welcome to check us out also.

http://www.takdriver.com

Thanks again

Tak

·
Registered
295 Posts
takdriver said:
Here's a Ford vs Chevy question that was also asked on here:

http://www.takdriver.com/showthread.php?t=586

Which action is better, more popular, more reliable?

Looking to buy an M2. Should I do it?
More popular for what use? If you are talking about clay shooting,well, Beretta`s are the most popular clay guns. Benelli`s are not clay target guns,no matter how hard they try to convince you of it. The Beretta is quite reliable. I know for a fact that there are Dove outfitters who use the 391`s as house guns for customers to use. Dove hunting in Argentina for instance can require a couple of thousand shots in a couple of days. A gas operated gun is what you want,unless your shoulder is made of steel. The Benelli will obviously function longer between cleanings,no gas system. Where the Benelli really shines,is in its ability to shoot in very "wet" conditions,which the Beretta does not like at all. Just a note,I shoot all my gas operated autos "WET". I don`t mean wet as in water,I mean as in Breakfree CLP. I slather that stuff on the whole gas system,let it drain off,and go shooting. It keeps all that burnt powder in suspension,making cleaning the gun super easy. When the gun starts the hiccups,I just spray more CLP on,and it shoots like I just cleaned the whole gun again. Amazing stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.