Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and also to shotgun arena. I am thinking of getting a Beretta 682 Gold E Sporting. Has anyone try this gun out? What is your experience with it, pro/con? Thanks in advance.

K. Nguyen

·
Registered
109 Posts
Near the end of December last year I was made aware of the price increase Beretta was planning on making, so I took the plunge and purchased one of the guns you are considering. I had been shooting a Browning Special Sporting for several years and was well aware of the differences between the two-primarily the rib height. Stock differences were really not a major consideration as I usually change whatever needs to be changed to make any new gun fit me, but the bbl/rib was a different story. I felt that I could make myself shoot the flatter rib just as well as I had been shooting the Browning. Since this was my major concern and given the fact that Beretta normally turns out some of the most reliable target guns made today I thought it would be my only concern. Wrong! After just 4 rounds of sporting clays the stock broke. When I sent it back to Beretta for replacement I instructed them to replace the forearm as well if they could not match the wood. It came with excellent wood the first time, and I felt that I deserved a replacement of equal quality. Well, they did replace both the stock and forearm, but the new stock had so much castoff that it did not even come close to fitting in the pocket on my shoulder. I have since added a pad adjuster, but this takes away from both the smoothness of the gun mount (I always start gun down) and the balance of the gun. I have now added weight to the bbls to bring the balance back forward, but it still isn't the same as it was to start with. Too, the darned thing will not reliably set the trigger for the second shot with 1 oz loads.
Do I like the gun? Despite everything I have had problems with,
I would have to say yes. However, if doing it again I would look for 32" instead of 30" bbls, and I would consider the plain stock instead of the adjustable stock. I would also consider a little plainer wood as the strength decreases as the beauty of the grain increases. Really, I would probably save around a grand and go with the new 686 that has the Optima bore bbls. It has dark wood which I prefer but not all of the replaceable parts that the 682 Gold E's offer. Realistically, I will never put 3-400,000 rounds through this gun...maybe 200,000 in my lifetime, but that wouldn't hurt either model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope it won't happen to a majority of this series. I went a head and brought it anyway. Will you all know how she works out. As far as look and feel this gun is great. It's less heavier than Browning Centori series. This gun comes with 5 colored chokes, looks very sharp.

More comments appreciated.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You can send your gun into Beretta and they will just the inertia needed to reset the trigger for only $42. I am buying a ultralight and will be sending my gun in right away to have this done because I will be using it to shoot field trial poppers which are very light loads (no lead).

G

·
I have heard good things about the 682 I have a S686 special which I really like a great gun.
Keep er banging,
dave
:lol:

G

·
When I posted on this subject back on May 16 I stated that I had been having trouble with the inertia blocks on my new 682.
Well, I am glad to report that it is no longer a problem. It has taken well over 3,000 rounds through it, but it has apparently broken in well enough that it is now going to fire the 1 oz loads reliably without having the inertia blocks reworked. This has done a lot to increase my confidence level, and my scores on both sporting and skeet have risen back to the levels they were at when I was still shooting the Browning Special Sportings I was so used to. Amazing what part the mind has to do with our shooting, huh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far I've owned this gun for little over three days now. I have approximately about 100 rounds through it, and no problem yet. The recoil is minimal compare to Browning 525. I would recommend the Beretta, but try to shop around for a deal.

Thanks for all your comments.

K. Nguyen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts