Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
waddaya think? I've shot the 686 E and I loved it... finding a 2nd hand seems to be a pretty hard thing here though the 682 seems to be easier to find... you think its worth going for a 682 gold e? I love crushing pigeons and that would be the main thing, but it'll be used for some hunting as well... aint got enough cash to get two shotties so a sportinggun seems like the thing...

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a 686 silver pigeon sporting & really like this gun. A friend has a 682 but personally I can't justify the cost difference between the two. Perhaps one has to be a very serious competition shooter to realize the advantage of the 682 over the less expensive models.

Just my .02 Rod.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a 686e, it was my first "good" shootgun. I shoot in a League with a fellow I have just got to know this year, he has a 682 gold e, we have switched and used the other gun. Both are wonderful performers. He has commented a few times he wishes he had a 686e and the rest of his money back in his pocket.
A long time friend and devote skeet shooter has, or had, almost everything out there. Nikkos, Rottweils, 3200's, Browning, Kriegoff, Browings but never a Beretta. He saw and shoot mine and it immediately won himover.
Anybody want a K80??

My point.... pick what you like you wont go wrong with either.

Good Luck

Marty

G

·
Guys, but why 682 Gold Trap is much higher in terms of price compare to 686 E Trap if performance is the same? Why top shooter any way prefer 682?

G

·
Why does a 682 Gold cost more? If you've ever bought a car you should know extras raise the price.

My 686 Onyx is a fine field gun but my 682 Gold Trap has higher grade wood and glossy, matte and gold parts. It opens and closes with a finer "feel" than my 686

The top and side ribs are ventilated to dissipate heat

While mine has a Monte Carlo stock, many have an adjustable stock with Beretta's memory system. The adjusting mechanism features a patented locking system so settings remain secure and unchanged. An indicator scale allows for quick, easy calibration.

Triggers on all 682 E's are adjustable for length of pull fit to three positions to better fit the gun to shooter's hand and shooting style. Two trigger shoes are supplied: one with a canted surface for right-or left-handed shooters and one with a wide, symmetrical face. Self-adjusting , dual conical locking lugs, replaceable hinge pins and barrel shoulders, hard chrome-lined barrels and chambers.

Finally, the 682 Gold has an upgraded ABS hard case with better lining and upgraded locks.

All the Beretta 680 guns are nice - they just get more refined and costly. Would you rather have the money in your wallet or in your hands?

G

·
Toronto2000 said:
But if you shoot both, what is the difference?
I thought I just spent several paragraphs explaining the difference.

At it's heart a Beretta 680 series is a pretty similar design across the line - its what is done with it in its various models that refines it and specializes it.

My 686 Onyx is a great field field gun that I would use for hunting and occasional Sporting Clays but it became pretty obvious to me quickly that it wasn't suited to frequent Trap shooting - because it was not a purpose-built competition gun.

If you look at the differences between Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays guns its obvious how they have been customized to meet the shooter's needs for those particular games. That is reflected in barrel length, stock style, rib, chokes, safety (my 686 auto-sets my Trap gun does not) and other things that optimize the set up for a competition shooter.

My 682 has more hand finishing then a pure assembly line gun but less than an ASE, DT-10, or SO grade. The DT-10 and ASE - out of my price range - have the detachable trigger group so if you are at the Grand and the spring breaks you can swap it out and keep shooting the gun you are familiar with rather than a back-up spare.

If you want nice wood on the gun vs. a picture of nice wood over laminate, a better finish, real vs. rolled on engraving, adjustable/interchangable triggers, etc. then you may be happier with a higher grade gun. If you are shooting straight 100s with a less expensive model and love it why spend the money?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I have a couple of 686E Sportings I shoot.
(One more un-used, new one for sale)
I can't say enough about this gem.
I have shot the 682E. I like that gun very much too.

However, I actually like the fixed trigger, the simple silver looks (less gold) The checkered pattern of the grip. I just like the 686E model BETTER in every way over the 682 Gold E.
Not to mention it's $1000 less.
For my needs (not a super-serious competitor) this was just what I wanted.
Fit is everything. This just fits me perfectly.
Fits my needs too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts