Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm considering picking up a Beretta 686 Onyx. I like the look of the new White Onyx and am leaning toward that model.

Just wondering if any current owners would care to share their impressions and opinions about these.

If anyone has the White Onyx, I'd especially like to know how they feel about the new receiver treatment.

I've read quite a few posts about them in general, but I didn't see a post specifically for the Onyx model in the Opinons Forum...

thanks

G

·
I have had a 686 Onyx for 3 years. It is a 12 ***** with 26" barrells. Would not trade it for anything. I sold my auto, because i don't need anything else.(except a 20 ***** just like it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a 20ga Beretta Onyx for my first hunting trip (a week chasing quail in Southern California this November) so my comments are limited to clays for now.
I love this gun. I have a 391 with an adjustable stock that now seems like a carrying a truck after toting the 20 around.
The drop is about a half inch low for me so I will have to have it bent but I hit pretty well with it out of the box.
Pricewise I did ok, I got it used for 700 cash so I am very happy with the deal. I found a full set of chokes on ebay for 35 and it came wit three chokes when I bought it.
I have already scratched the stock so I can quit worrying about that. I wish it had a satin finish, but the gloss is pretty.
It is light, feels good, and I am impressed with the fit and finish. I looked at a lot of guns, because I wanted the gun I take on my first trip to be special and to be on that I could hand down as the gun I took my first bird with. The gun is nice enough to fit that bill, but I won't lose my mind if it takes a field mark home at the end of the day.

G

·
I just bought a 686 White Onyx. I love it. It shoots great and the weight and balance of it gives it a great swing when shooting clays. The white onyx is also a beautiful gun. I still open the case every night just to admire it. I would not trade it for anything.

G

·
Hi

I am searching round for a good gun that I can shoot clays and a bit of game but mostly I want it for clays.I don't want a heavy gun either (about 7lb)
I have heard that the white onyx and silver pigeon were the ones to go for, so which is better?
I am quite confused so are there any owners with both guns?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Springbok said:
Hi

I am searching round for a good gun that I can shoot clays and a bit of game but mostly I want it for clays.I don't want a heavy gun either (about 7lb)
I have heard that the white onyx and silver pigeon were the ones to go for, so which is better?
I am quite confused so are there any owners with both guns?
All of the Beretta 680 series guns are basically the same in mechanical function. The Onyx and SP differ only in cosmetics. 682E's and Sporting 687EELL's have replaceable lock-up lugs and removable triggers that also adjust for length of pull. There are a few versions with adjustable combs, but the internal parts are the same.

I lean toward the Sporting models because they are about a pound heavier and some of the newer Sporting models have the Optima barrels (backbored and longer forcing cones) in 12 gauge. But then again, I shoot targets several times per week and hunt only once every couple of years.

The White Onyx and SP differ only in cosmetics. Get the one whose looks you prefer. You can't go wrong!

Break a hundred!

Rawhyde

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.