Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first O/U used. Now I have a few questions.
1. I just noticed that the metal at the bottom of the forend that enters the recess in the bottom of the receiver actually touches and is leaving a mark. Is this a sign of wear and can it be adjusted somehow to stop this contact? Everyone else that has more experience with O/U's tell me the receiver/barrels lock up well and it feels and shoots fine.
2. Is there anything special to know about removing the stocks? I need to remove the stock and forearm to refinish them. I know to remove the recoil pad and the center bolt, but is that all - will anything go "SPROING" when I pull out the center bolt? Is there anything special to removing the metal (release and hinge) from the forend? It came with a shiny finish and I want to refinish the wood to a dull satin style.

·
Registered
458 Posts
A photo of the fore end problem would help. I'm not sure from the description what is happening. You can remove the recoil pad and the stock bolt without anything going "Sproing". The recoil pad will come off with a #2 Phillips screwdriver. Put some Vaseline on the screwdriver so you don't bugger up the pad. There's no magic to removing the fore end hardware. Just make sure you use the correct size screwdriver to remove the fore end hardware - you may have to grind the bit to fit the slot.

·
Registered
321 Posts
And after you remove the barrels from the receiver, you'll need to push in the black pin protruding from the top left side of the receiver face to allow the top lever to return to the center position. If you don't move the top lever back to center, you may scratch the stock as you remove it from the receiver.

·
Registered
663 Posts
sepp said:
And after you remove the barrels from the receiver, you'll need to push in the black pin protruding from the top left side of the receiver face to allow the top lever to return to the center position. If you don't move the top lever back to center, you may scratch the stock as you remove it from the receiver.
This ^^ very important.

As for the forend iron scratching the receiver - I am guessing you are seeing some galling.
Scratch is not good...finish wear is totally normal.

You need to see if any burr or sand is stuck between. put some grease after good cleaning and see if this is happening again

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's a tough question to answer as it will depend upon how well you keep it lubricated and greased and obviously how may rounds you put through it.

Beretta's web site used to reference 80,000 rounds as the point where you may need to install the first of three progressively larger locking lugs. (Pretty sure there are three different sizes for rebuilds) The Trunion (hinge pin) can easily be changed if needed.

I'm not a competitive shooter so hopefully, someone else with that level of experience with Berettas will chime in with more relevant info. I'm just parroting what I have read. I doubt any of my three Beretta O/Us will need any such repairs in my lifetime.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
80,000 rounds it may because off face, but should go to a gunsmith long before that. Common things wear out, springs and such. I would suggest 20-30K for a trip to Cole Guns.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
It only took 15 years for the OP to get a response. That's hilarious!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts