Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a used Beretta 686 White Onyx, 12 Gauge, 28" barrels. I'm new to the sport and I'm looking for a well made, affordable, all around sporting gun. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
voodoochild said:
I'm thinking about buying a used Beretta 686 White Onyx, 12 Gauge, 28" barrels. I'm new to the sport and I'm looking for a well made, affordable, all around sporting gun. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.
The Beretta 68x action is one of the most popular actions on the face of the earth. It's well made, reliable, and your children's children will still be shooting it when you're long gone. 12 Gauge is the universally accepted all-around gauge. Barrel length preference changes about as often as hem lines, but 28" is a pretty standard length.

My advice would be that if it fits, you will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a 686 WOS (Sporting model). Great gun. I would highly recommend it. When I was buying, I actually was set on a Browning. After much research, I choose the 686 since the Beretta fit me better and was a better value in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking at a used gun. I think its a 2003 model though only fired a few times. How can I tell if its a sporting or field model? How much do the differences matter to me as a new sporting shooter? From what reasearch I've done it seems that the internal vs. screw in chokes are the primary difference. Can't you put screw in chokes in the field gun?

Thanks for your patience with my "new guy" questions and thanks for your help.

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
voodoochild said:
I'm looking at a used gun. I think its a 2003 model though only fired a few times. How can I tell if its a sporting or field model? How much do the differences matter to me as a new sporting shooter? From what reasearch I've done it seems that the internal vs. screw in chokes are the primary difference. Can't you put screw in chokes in the field gun?

Thanks for your patience with my "new guy" questions and thanks for your help.
The difference with today's models are:
Chokes - The WOS has Optima Chokes and the WO has MobilChokes. This means the WOS has a backbored barrel and the WO does not. Does this matter if you're shooting 1000 targets a year? No. Both guns come with screw chokes. Screw chokes can take either extended chokes or flush mount chokes.

Chamber: Both guns have a 3" chamber.

Barrels: WOS has 30 or 32" tubes, WO has 26 or 28" tubes. If it fits, who cares.

Rib: WOS has a wider rib than the WO. Big differencel, no.

Weight: WOS 7.5+/- pounds, WO 6.5+/- pounds. Some of it is due to the barrel length, but I assume the sporting model has a little more heft. Heavy sporting clays (like 500+ targets a month) is going to be rough with a 6.5 pound gun. 500 targets a year, you'll be fine.

Dimensions: Not sure, could be different, but are most likely very similar.

Bottom line is they are basically the same gun with tweaks on the WOS geared towards clay target shooting. If it fit you, I wouldn't let those features stand in my way.

·
Registered
653 Posts
voodoochild said:
The white onyx would be an excellent choice !

Leeboy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,
my first shotgun was a 686 WOS. i currently shoot a K-gun, but love my 686. after a week at greg hissem's, my 686 has an adj. comb that makes it feel like home everytime i mount it.

only gripe, is that the recoil is slightly sharp compared to my k-gun(kgun weighs .6 pounds heavier though), and the lack of adjustable POI,(i'm blind in one eye and needed a higher POI for hard lefts). on the plus side, the trigger is truly crisp. the rib on the wos is just as good as my k-gun.

one thing that my wos has that wasnt mentioned is manual safety, whereas wo is not. the optima barrel set gives the wos a very light feel, which makes the 32" gun swing like a 28-30" gun. backbored and lengthened forcing cones come standard on optima sets also i believe

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
808sr20 said:
Hey,
one thing that my wos has that wasnt mentioned is manual safety, whereas wo is not.
yes, forgot to mention that. That's a big hassle if you shoot a lot of sporting IMHO.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
I've not done it, but I'd bet disabling the auto safety is a 10 minute deal! I have 3 686E Sporting, one a Trap combo, they are the model right before the White Onyx Sporting. I guess if I didn't think they were any good, I wouldn't own 3 of them. The difference between the 686E Sporting and the White Onyx Sporting is strictly cosmetic. As much as I like the White Onyx Sporting, I'd be hard pressed to trade mine (686E) for them.

In a nut shell, buy it, you'll like it!

BP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts