Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have adjustable combs on my shotguns. I need to raise the comb and move it right(cast off) to get a balanced pattern. Having no adjustments on my just acquired a300 U 20 ga, how do I move the pattern about 4 inches right at 20 yards? Thank you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Read the owner's manual and any number of threads on Shotgunworld regarding changing out the shims. Someone at the factory might have installed the left-handed (cast on) shim accidentally when they were assembling the gun. You can also adjust the drop if you want at the same time.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
As mentioned above…ensure the drop shim is set for right hand cast and the proper amount of drop…then pattern the gun at 20 yards to determine if the gun shoots where you are looking.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shim is set for right hand cast. I put a 3/8" gel pad on it which, along with raising the comb, gave me more cast off. If I cant the gun alittle toward me, the laser is spot on. I'll pattern it and try a round of skeet with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Shim is set for right hand cast. I put a 3/8" gel pad on it which, along with raising the comb, gave me more cast off. If I cant the gun alittle toward me, the laser is spot on. I'll pattern it and try a round of skeet with it tomorrow.
Warning. If you are using one of those lasers that simulates a shotgun shell that you put into the chamber.....it WILL lie to you. Want proof?? Mark the laser with a magic marker every 90 degrees. Then rotate the position of the laser and note where the laser points relative to your front bead. It'll be all over the map.

Why??? Because the laser is not concentric to the outside diameter of the laser body AND the fit of the laser is loose to the chamber AND the extractor is always tugging on the laser, pulling it towards the ejection port.

Those things are junk. Even in a SS or an o/u. Pattern your gun. Don't rely on the laser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts